chapter twenty one!

𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖓𝖊𝖑, 𝖙𝖜𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖞 𝖔𝖓𝖊

*    *    *

*    *    *

(  𝖊𝖕𝖎𝖑𝖔𝖌𝖚𝖊  )

Elle and Lydia were lying peacefully asleep in the hospital, now been allowed to share the one room. Their conditions had improved at a rate that was considered normal and were still bandaged up, not ready to be discharged for another few days yet.

While the girls slept, nurses came in and out all the time monitoring and recording their vital signs for any mishaps with their health. Because of this, the door was left wide open so it was easier for them to enter, do their job and leave.

The nurses weren't the only one's to enter the room that day though. Two figures made their way through the empty space of the door way and into the safety of the room undetected. One of them hid behind the wall next to the door and the other made it to the other side of the room by the door, prepared to shut it.

"Shut the door," the figure by the wall hissed to the other. His voice rang out to be no other than Scott McCall.

The other figure, who was no less his partner in crime Stiles Stilinski, shoved the bucket away that was keeping the door propped open away from the door. He slowly tried to shut it inconspicuously but it didn't go as smoothly as the two had planned.

As Stiles inched it shut, the door emitted a loud groan making Stiles pause in his actions and verify no one was paying any attention to them. He tried again shutting it slower than before, sliding along the vinyl flooring. The door was silent for the first second or two but quickly let out another shriek.

Scott looked at his best friend with an annoyed expression, giving him an 'are you actually doing this look'. Stiles just nodded his head back at him, and with an open mouth and concentrating look on his face, he tried to shut it fast, evaluating if that made a noise. It turns out, forcing the door to shut quicker made an even louder noise. Stiles panted from his place on the floor and gave up trying to be soundless. He slowly pushed the door shut all the way, no matter how loud the noises were. He pushed himself up against the door to lock it and Scott drew the blinds closed so they can't be seen.

Stiles stays leant on the door while Scott walked around Isabelle's bed until he was between the two. He lifted up Lydia's hospital gown carefully so she was still decent but he could check her bite. It was wrapped up in a bandage but he just cautiously lifted the bandage off of her skin to take a look. It was still there. All of it: the scarring, the blood (although cleaned up), and the visible bite marks.

"Oh, God," Scott groaned lightly, not wanting to have to deal with another mystery in the supernatural world.

"What?" Stiles whipped up the side of the door until he was standing and began to make his move over to the werewolf, looking behind him to see if anyone was coming into the room where they were without permission.

"Is it completely healed?" Stiles stared at Lydia's bed not wanting to see anything gory on her if something unusual was happening to her.

"No, not at all," Scott's voice was laced in worry and confusion as to why they were still alive if they hadn't changed. His mind flashed back to when he found out that when you are bitten, you either change or die.

"What?! See-see Elle. See if she's the same."

Scott did as his best friend asked and walked round the bed so his was by the door again. He pulled down the hospital gown around her neck to see the bandages When marks were still there he placed the bandage back on and looked at Stiles.

The shake of the head from Scott made Stiles aware immediately that there was a problem and that Isabelle Nightly was as much of an enigma as Lydia Martin.

The adjustment to her bandages seemed to have disturbed Elle's sleep. She groaned slightly, causing the two boys to watch over her with wide eyes.

She didn't open her eyes luckily but it was clear she was waking up. "Stiles?" She whispered. "What are you doing?"

Both boys were frozen. Scott whacked Stiles' arm to get him to answer. "Uh- uh I'm not doing anything, I'm not here. You're- Uh- you're still asleep. Go back to sleep."

Isabelle seemed to frown but go along with it as she shifted slightly and went back to sleep.

The pair let out a deep breath. "I don't get it. The doctor said they'd be fine," Stiles sighed to his friend, pacing out of nerves of what was to come.

"Yeah, but the bite's not healing like it did with me. Which means-They're not werewolves," Scott worked out, his train of thoughts being spoken out-loud. He knew to expect more things in the world than werewolves but it didn't make it any easier.

"Then what the hell are they?"

END OF BOOK ONE