Chapter - 9

Jasmine's Pov

I saw Jonathan lean over and, using the fire from Rick's already glowing torch, lit the one he was holding before offering the third one to me. I gladly accepted it, I totally don't mind a bit of extra light as it certainly helped with better vision. "Mummies, My good son, this is where they made mummies" Jonathan told Rick as we continued deeper into the chamber.

Rick moved carefully in the front, holding his handgun in case they encountered something deadly, and Eve and I followed behind him, followed by Evan and Adam while Jonathan and the warden bought up the rear. A scattering noise suddenly echoed throughout the room, making all of us stop and whirl around. "Did you hear that ?"Eve gasped, I tightened my grip on the torch I was holding, as i tried to locate the source of noise, but it was impossible to figure out where it was coming from as this place is like a maze. "Yes- what was that?" Jonathan asked. "Sounds like.....bugs", Rick replied, making his voice eerie on purpose. Eve turned to the warden, clearly remembering the previous conversation, and like me couldn't stop herself from taunting him about it " he said bugs" we said in unison, she being rather loud.

"What do you mean, bugs? I hate bugs!" the warden said in response, looking around wildly to make sure that there weren't any bugs following him. Eve and I looked at each other and grinned in satisfaction as we continued to move forward. "The legs of Anubis" Eve told them as they approached the base of the statue. "The secret compartment should be hidden somewhere inside here". Evan, Adam and I shared an uneasy look. Before Eve could inspect it, strange noises echoed around the room. "It doesn't sound like bugs this time" I hisses to Rick, Evan and Adam, moving between Evan and Adam. Rick passed his torch to Eve before pulling out a second gun. Evan pushed me behind him and Adam stood behind me, and slowly passed me a gun and knife. Rick moved closer to where the noise was coming from, I placed the knife carefully in the hidden holster, and gripped the gun and took an aim as Rick turned to the corner to find the Americans with their own guns drawn. I relaxed and hid the gun with the knife.

"You scared the bejesus out of us, O'Connell" Henderson exclaimed as he recognized us. "Likewise" Rick said, pulling his guns back when he saw that they were not in danger. I moved beside Evan.
"Hey, that's my tool kit!" The man with glasses said, noticing the bundle in Eve's arm "No, I don't think so" big brother shot back, once again pointing his guns at the Americans while Eve hugged the kit closer. "O-okay, perhaps I was mistaken", the man with glasses mumbled, and big brother carefully lowered his guns. Eve glanced at me, and I knew exactly what she was trying to say, "Well, have a nice day gentlemen" Eve started taking a step toward them. "But, we have a ton of work to be getting along with". I finished stepping beside Eve and Rick.

"Push off" The Egyptologist  spat rudely, " This is our dig site!"  "oh really? That's sounds wonderful, No one enter this place for a really long time, i wonder if they knew you'd came so they wrote you name on the site before hand...? but then again i can't see your name written on it" I said.  Too late, i realized. All men were pointing their weapons at each other again. I sighed. 'why am i even bothering, boys will always be boys'  I huffed rolling my eyes and went back near Adam and Evan. The Egytologist was giving me a nasty look, i stuck my tongue at him, childishly. 

It was Beni who saved the Americans having to defend themselves against my words. "Yes, well, there's only 7 of you and fifteen of me, your odds are not so great, O'Connell's. His word niether fazed me nor Rick, "I've had worse" said Rick calmly. " you'd know, Beni, wouldn't you" Evan finished with a forced smile, that clearly said not to push his luck. "Look, for goodness sake" Eve interrupted, moving so that now she was standing before the gun. "Let's be nice, children" Eve continued in a tone that made me wonder that do i sound similar when i scold my brother, "yes, you sound exactly like that, like a  mother scolding her child." Adam whispered to me. I looked back to Eve, "....we must share" Eve began lowering their guns, and firmly placed a hand on Rick's arm. "There are other places to dig" She told him. By her tone something was going on in that head of hers. 'Hopefully nothing troublesome '   i thought following her to 'the other place' she referred to. I jogged up to Eve and started walking beside her, " You are good, usually it is impossible to get something into my idiot of a brother's head....too thick to hammer anything in, i tell you" i said to her, whispering the last part. We both giggled. "You brother is quite......something" She managed, slightly smiling as she spoke.