fourteen

(a/n: adorable fanart that I received from a girl at a troye sivan concert who happened to read my books,, it's hanging up on my wall now)

tw// descriptions of blood and heights, death

D A N ' S P O V

It was silent.

The building was silent, and my heart pounding sounded like it was loud enough to smash all the windows just by itself. I was panting and I had barely even ran, it was just the anxiety kicking in.

I kept my hand on the gun, the weapon uncocked but my finger ready to switch the safety off. I took a step forward and heard someone behind me, pausing. Suddenly I turned around and snatched Matthew's knife from my belt, swinging it. My eyes widened in shock when I saw the body drop to the ground, blood spilling from their newly slit throat.

"I'm fucking insane," I chuckled breathlessly, turning back around and finding the elevator. I figured they'd be on the top floor and hit the buttons, waiting and pulling my pistol out of my pocket, cocking it and raising it in front of me.

The doors opened and, as I figured, two men stood in front of me but hadn't turned around yet.

"Excuse me sirs," I spoke, grinning deviously when they turn around and I shot them both directly in the forehead. They dropped and I rolled my eyes. "They really need better security."

I continued waltzing toward the doors, the empty rooms dark and powerless, sunlight shining through the entry doors to the balcony.

"Stop or I'll shoot."

I froze, my lips curling up and eyebrows furrowing. Slowly and secretly, I slid my hand down my jeans, finding the smoke bullets in my pockets. I clicked it and tossed it behind me, ducking and dodging a bullet. The bullet exploded and I heard coughing, walking backwards to watch the smoke form, cutting off the other's sight.

I made it to the exit and pushed open the door, instantly tensing when I locked eyes with none other than my father.

I quickly hid my gun and looked down to see the blood on my hands, frowning. I walked forward and saw nobody was up here, and I knew this was a trap but I couldn't help but walk forward.

He was tied to a chair which was standing on the very edge of the building- hell, if he were tilt even a little he'd fall right off. He had fabric tied over his mouth and sweat dripping down his forehead, his eyes watery.

"Dad," I breathed out, reaching forward and he flinched. I immediately pulled my hand away, already scared of myself from the look in his eyes. "Dad I wouldn't hurt you, you know that. . . please just let me take the gag off. . ."

He furrowed his eyebrows, dropping the act and nodding. I reached forward and gently untied it, tossing it over the tower.

"Daniel," he spoke, his voice hoarse. "Dan, why is there blood on your hands? What's going on?"

I shook my head, holding back tears while I untied him from the chair then stood up.

"Dad I can explain everything back home, but right now I need you to trust me. We have to get you out of here before-"

"-before I show up?"

I whipped around to find the same masked figure that killed Matthew's sister, pausing.

Their voice sounded oddly familiar.

I stared. "What exactly do you want from this? Killing my family isn't gonna have me drop dead, is it?"