fifteen

(a/n: tbh listen to rainymood with earphones while reading this for more of an effect)

P H I L ' S P O V

"Dan?"

He was unconscious, his body occasionally twitching. Everyone was waiting downstairs anxiously, needing an update on his health, but none of us were getting any luck. He had been laying on our bed for hours now.

I sat by his body, letting out a sigh as I wiped the wet cloth against his cut neck.

A small knock came from the door and I turned to see Alex, forcing a smile.

"Do you need anything?" They whispered softly. I looked back at Dan before replying.

"An icepack for his bruise please, and a glass of water for when he wakes up. Get the others to try and find some painkillers."

They nodded and shut the door after them. I turned back to Dan, reaching out and brushing a hand through his sweaty hair.

He winced slightly and my eyes widened. "Dan?"

His eyelids twitched before he finally opened them, revealing my favorite pair of toffee eyes. A grin found its way onto my lips and I leaned down, kissing his forehead.

"Phil," he murmured. I nodded. "Phil, it was Patrick."

I nodded again. "I heard you before you blacked out."

"What happened?" He rubbed at his eyes tiredly.

"Your dad is gone, baby. But so is Patrick."

He tried to sit up but flinched and I forced him to lay back down, climbing over him to lie next to him and rest my head on his chest. He instantly reached out and began combing his fingers through my hair, a habit that has always seemed to calm him down.

"I just can't believe it was him," Dan muttered. "But it makes sense, doesn't it? That's why he signed up to teach there, because Wirrow knew you were going to support group and he knew he couldn't trust you because of Ryan. So he got Patrick to listen to us. He had Patrick hear every little thing that I told him about my life and yours, and this whole time it's been a trick."

I opened my mouth to reply but Alex tiptoed back in, gaping at the newly awake boy next to me. "You're awake!" They beamed, rushing over and setting down the glass of water and icepack. "Oliver's getting the painkillers- but how are you feeling? Physically, I mean."

"A headache and my face aches from the punch. That's all. Thanks for asking, but you really don't have to worry so much."

Alex flashed us a lopsided grin, heading to the dresser but before sitting, they spoke. "We're all gonna worry about you- you and Phil feel more like family than my real one ever did."

"Is Nutella boy awake?" I hear Oliver scream from downstairs. Layla laughing followed suit.  Footsteps grew louder and louder until the last three of the group burst in, Oliver first with a huge smile on his face. "He's awake!"

"I figured," Layla giggled. "Good to see you alive."

"Did the knife come in handy?" Matthew questioned gently, nervously playing with his hands. Dan shot him a grin.

"Yes it did actually- here," Dan leaned over to get the dagger off the nightstand but Matt shook his head.

"Keep it."

"I bought tissues with my own money just to prepare myself for mourning over your death," Oliver jokingly pouted, hopping up to sit onto the window sill.

"My apologies," Dan played along, and I caught Alex admiring Oliver.

And then Daniel laughed, and I didn't realize how much I missed that sound until now.

It was around midnight when everyone was full after eating Chinese takeout on the carpet and tiredness kicked in. Dan had been in and out of sleeping all day, but I didn't blame him.

"Goodnight I unfortunately love you guys!" Oliver shouted from downstairs. I chuckled.

"Oli shut up before I choke you with my fucking pillow!" I heard Layla groan.

"I'm not into that!"

And then Dan was giggling next to me. I reached down and began playing with our fingers. "How are you feeling?" I yawned.

"I'm ok," his eyes were half-lidded, showing he was tired.

I squeezed his hand. "You know what I mean."

"I'm just so tired of putting my trust and time into people that don't deserve it."

I leaned forward and kissed his cheek. "You can trust me, angel," I murmured sleepily.

"I know," he turned over to face me, eyes already closed. "I love you so much, it's not even normal."

"Dan, by this point, I don't think anything we do is considered normal," I giggled. He laughed softly, and I relished in the way I could feel his chest bounce and skin vibrate when he laughed. "But I love you too."

And then I was asleep.

I woke up to a crack of thunder, my eyes fluttering open then shooting awake when I remembered Dan's phobia of thunder. I sat up immediately, looking around the room to see that Dan wasn't in here. I reached to turn on the lamp but it wouldn't budge, indicating that the power was out.

I got out of bed, checking on everyone's rooms first.

Layla was in hers, as well as a Matthew, but Alex's room was empty. I began to panic and peeked in Oliver's, and there he was cuddled up against Alex, the two snoring. I smiled to myself, deciding I'd keep my mouth shut on their relationship- whatever it may be.

I trudged downstairs and furrowed my eyebrows, looking for Dan. The sky was dark blue from the storm to the point where it lit up outside, and I spotted Dan out on the porch sitting down.

I hobbled over and went outside, sitting down next to him and leaning my head on his shoulder.  "Can't sleep?"

Dan reached down and took my hand.  "No. I slept too much and now I'm thinking too much."

"Why didn't you wake me? I know how you get during thunderstorms."

He shook his head and I looked over at him, admiring the way the sky created a faint light onto his skin. His eyes were glistening and I bashed in the sound of rain falling onto the roof and lightning cracking across the sky.

"It's not that."

"Well aren't you scared of the dark too?" I blinked.

Then he turned to me, and spoke.

"It appears that my fear of losing people I care about has overpowered any phobias I once had."

And I didn't say anything, and so the two of us sat with my head on his shoulder and our hands locked, Dan's happiness falling faster than the rain above us and my heart pounding louder than the thunder around us.