Chadwick Episode 1: Part 2

*Amy's P.O.V.*

B.

*Kay's P.O.V.*

"Would that be some kind of security risk?" I asked Chadwick.

"No, probably not, but...Well it does go against our backstory." he answered.

Is that what this is all about?

"Well, people could reach the same conclusion even if you really were just a government researcher..."

"That's a good point. One way or the other, there's an extent to which others' perceptions are out of our control."

"Right..." I said a little awkwardly.

It's still strange that he would be so concerned about it.

"I guess I'm just used to working with high profile clients who want to avoid any appearance of impropriety." he said.

"Oh, that makes sense...It's probably a big shift to go from that to a college cafeteria."

"It's certainly a different environment." Chadwick said as he finished his hamburger and was now working on his fries.

"Speaking of which...I've been meaning to tell you, it's okay if you just want to call me Kay."

"Would you prefer that Ms. Lewis?"

"Well, I'm not really used to people being so formal with me." I answered a little shyly.

"I see...Ms, uh...Kay..." As he spoke he accidentally missed his mouth and hit his nose with a fry, leaving a dollop of ketchup.

I laughed and reached for a napkin. I had no idea that it would make him so uncomfortable.

"We'll work on that..." I said reaching forward to wipe his nose.

Chadwick drew back as I reached forward to wipe the ketchup off his nose.

"Hey, I won't bite!" I said.

"It's fine, Ms. Lewis...I can get it myself..." he said a little flushed.

I noticed a group of girls watching us from a nearby table. They quickly turned away and pretended to be talking about something else, but I could hear their giggling. I guess we probably do look a bit like a couple to them; Chadwick neatly cleaned his nose and then checked his schedule on his phone; and awkward couple.

After lunch Chadwick followed me to my drama club meeting, He'd insisted on joining after learning that members tend to come and go. Looks like attendance is pretty good today. There's Sarah!

"Hey, Kay! I missed you in class yesterday." Sarah said walking up to us.

"Oh, yeah..." I said looking at Chadwick.

"Um, well..." I started.

"I have to apologize. I was interviewing Ms. Lewis for my paper and time got away from us." Chadwick said.

"Oh, I see...Well aren't you going to introduce me to your friend, Kay?" Sarah asked...put you eyes back in your head and stop going crazy over every cute guy you see.

"Sarah, this is Chadwick. He's shadowing me to do government research on efficient organic methods of..." I said forgetting the last part.

"Organic efficiency models arising from dense clusters of pedestrian interactions." Chadwick chimed in.

"Oh is that so..." Sarah asked still going gaga over Chadwick.

"And Chadwick, this is Sarah, my best friend." I said.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Sarah." he said shaking her hand.

She looks like she's going to melt.

"So who's the new guy?" Lynda said stepping into the room and throwing her bag onto the nearest desk...she is our director, instructor, leader whatever you wanna call her.

"Hey, Lynda. This is Chadwick." I said as she came over to us.

"He's from the government, here to do research." Sarah added.

"The government huh?" Lynda said putting her hands on her hips and looked Chadwick up and down.

"Lynda's our club leader." I told Chadwick.

"I don't suppose you have any acting experience, Chad? You've got the stature for it, not to mention a good face." Lynda said, surprising me that she was just as bad as Sarah.

"I'm afraid I'm a total neophyte. With your permission I'd just like to observe the meeting and take notes." Chadwick stated.

"Well, listen to you!" Lynda declared.

She then crossed her arms and put on a mock-serious face. Then she spoke in a careful, low voice.

"I'm a humble servant of the government seeking permission to study you simple civilians..."

"Lynda! Be Nice!" I yelled at her.

Although I have to admit, she does sound just like him. I looked at Chadwick, afraid that he'd be annoyed but...

"Ha! Uncanny.."

Wait! Did Mr. Serious just let out a laugh?! I smiled as Lynda recited a few more lines in her Chadwick voice. Both Chadwick and Sarah laughed and egged her on. It's so nice to see him smile like that, it's obvious that he's a good agent...but now I'm sure that he has a good heart too.

"Okay, Kids...Let's get this show started!" Lynda said a little to enthusiastically.

(End of Episode 1).

*Thanks for all the votes!!*