Mending Wounds

Serena's POV:

I walked up the door decorated with pink flowers and a drawing of a kitten. I heard sniffling, "Why can't I go home now? I hurt Serena and she hates me more than ever..." I don't hate you, Rini... Well, I kind of do, but I'm working on it kid... I knocked. 

"Rini, It's Serena... Can I come in?" There were a few moments of silence then I heard the lock click and I turned the knob to go in the room. She was standing with her back to me, facing the window. "Who were you talking to before I came in?" 

Her shoulders shook, and she spoke through tears, "You... don't care..." I sat down on the edge of her bed. 

"That isn't true. I do care. I want to know what you're doing here, who you are looking for, and how we can help you. That's all I've been trying to get you to understand this whole time, but you started off being a little brat the moment you arrived, and you haven't listened to me... So what do you say we start over?" Rini looked at me and I patted the bed for her to sit down next to me. "Hello there, my name is Serena, what's yours?" I wiped away a tear from her face to show her I was genuinely trying.

"I'm Rini..." 

I smiled, "It's nice to meet you, Rini... Why are you crying? Is there something I can help you do? Someone I can help you find?" 

She paused and looked at me like she wanted to say something, but she couldn't get it out. "I want my mommy!" The tears and sobs began again. 

"Oh, Rini," I said gently as I scooped the pink haired bundle into my arms. I patted her back and rocked with her. Darien was peeking through a crack at the door. He smiled and gave me a thumbs up. I smiled for a moment, and then sadness overwhelmed me. This is what we would've been doing with our own child...  I held her until the crying stopped. I stopped rocking and looked down to see she had fallen asleep. Poor girl... I can't imagine being away from my mother at such a young age... I laid her on her bed, covered her up, and walked out the door. 

"Great job on calming her down..." Darien stood with his arms open to embrace me. I stepped into him and he wrapped his arms around me. 

"Maybe... I just wish I knew what she was hiding. And I know she is hiding something..." 

He kissed the top of my head, "You will... But you have to establish trust first."

Yeah... And get over my anger... And get better with kids...