1.19

It hurts; life hurts. The first thing you remember about life is that it hurts. 

The second thing you remember is that it's repetitive. You experience the same things in life over and over again, just with different people. 

That first kiss doesn't end after it happens. You have a first kiss with a different person, and another first kiss with a different person, and another first kiss with someone else.

Your first heartbreak, 20 years later you'll have another first. Your first opening sentence, your first bully, your first tear. The cycle never stops.

Now onto the subject of hurt—hurting. That, that literally never stops. 

First grade, someone calls you a fag.

You have no idea what that word means, but you tell your parents.

Your parents have to sit down their 6 year old and explain what that word means and you forget all about it because you're young but then in high school a kid sees you in the mall food court with your boyfriend and they scream out to you "fag" and it brings back your childhood memories and it's like you're back in first grade and suddenly you can't breathe and it's all just too fast and—.

It hurts when you walk into your girlfriend's apartment to celebrate your 3rd year anniversary to see her with your roommate. It hurts telling her to stop touching you so you can leave even though her touch makes you melt and almost forget why you have to go. Almost.

It hurts when your daughter screams she hates you when you say "no" to her going to a friend's house.

It hurts when you hold your son after his girlfriend breaks his heart and he doesn't come out of his room for the next 8 months. 

It hurts when your grandchildren don't come over for Christmas because you're old and even you know you can be boring sometimes. 

It hurts when you're on your deathbed and your wife doesn't show up to say "I love you" for the last time.

It hurts when you see other people hurting.

Or when they have that expression on their face when their words get lost in a group conversation,

you know that look. 

You've shown that look.

It hurts; life hurts. The first thing you will always know about life is that it hurts.

It really fucking hurts sometimes.

'*'