3. Intruder

I was positive I had an advantage over Steve when it came to technology knowledge, as I lived with someone who was up-to-date on today's world. Still, Todd didn't teach me everything, so it was left to Steve and me to figure some things out for ourselves. We both weren't hopelessly lost, just a little confused, as expected.

We failed to understand the importance of "selfies" but did some anyway just for the hell of it once we understood the term. Most of them were us testing out the smartphone camera. Some shots were rather horrifying. The search engines both of us knew how to work, so we Googled trends. Naturally, one was us, the Avengers.

We explored the social media sites (some which neither of us understood why people made accounts in the first place). It was strange, but oddly flattering, to see people dressing up as us. I had no doubt we'd be a popular Halloween costume this year.

Steve hung around a while, long enough for Todd to offer him to stay for dinner, which we insisted that he did. Steve had no choice, because I'd lightly joked that I'd chain the door until he sat down with us. We ordered takeout, and then we all went back to Technology 101.

It wasn't until almost midnight that Steve decided to show himself out. Todd was long gone in bed, as he had work the following day. I showed Steve out and hugged him goodbye. I couldn't help the smile on my face as he drove off on his motorcycle. Counting the ride back from the café today, I'd only been on the bike twice. The feeling was amazing, like flying.

I made sure to turn off all the lights and carried my phone into my room. I changed for bed, hearing Todd's rather loud snoring through the hall. He really needed a vacation, just a week off from work. Not that he didn't enjoy his job, but sometimes he would barely crawl into the door, like he overworked himself.

I slipped into bed, tightening the covers around me. This gave me an odd sense of comfort, like I had someone in here with me. I couldn't ask Todd to do it, though I knew he'd be more than happy to, because we were best friends. I didn't want to wake him, even though at this point it didn't matter, as according to him he'd heard me in the middle of the night.

I didn't know how I feel asleep with how busy my mind was.

***

Everything's destroyed.

Furniture was overturned and broken. The door had been broken open when I found it. The kitchen didn't look too battered, but I could see the blood drops leaving me a trail. I felt the horror and dread fill me as the drops led me to Todd's room.

"Todd!" I screamed the moment I saw feet on the floor. I skidded my knees on the floor as I found him, lying down, his body blossoming with red. "Oh Gods no." His eyes were closed. Bad sign. I picked his head up, feeling the tears spill already. "No, no, no. Todd." I shook his head. "Todd, wake up." I felt my lips quiver. "Todd."

Who could have done this? Why? I didn't do this, did I? No, I couldn't have. I'd just gotten back. How could I have killed Todd if I wasn't around to do so?

I yelped when Todd gasped loudly, his brown eyes wide with panic. His eyes found mine.

"Kiara?" he rasped.

"I need to get you to a hospital." I tried to gather him in my arms.

"N-no, you can't. They won't let you."

"Who? Who did this to you?"

"You have to"—a cough—"get out of here."

"I will, and I'm taking you with me."