18. Mr. Too Good For His Own Good and the Girl on Fire

I never ran into Seth after our run-in in the streets of New York.

It was now June, and it was better to stay indoors than to go outside because of the ridiculously hot temperatures.

Todd and I kept in touch following his parting from me. He worried over me like the best friend that he was. He pretty much did the worrying for everyone, Steve included. Between him and Todd, I felt like they did the worrying for me.

I was in the kitchen this morning, munching lightly on some toast with jelly spread on it. I kept stealing glances at my phone. I had Seth's number. All I had to do was send a text message, and he'd send me the proof that I needed. Proof that would earn him my trust.

"Good morning," Pepper sang.

"Morning," I said.

"How're you feeling?" She met me at the counter I was eating over.

"Better." I swallowed. I noticed her outfit for the day. "Big busy day at the company?"

"Actually, I'm going in a business trip. I won't be around for a few days." She looked at me, concerned.

"Pepper, I'll be fine." I waved her look away. "You go do what you do best. Go run Stark's company. They've got me covered here."

She still looked troubled. "If anything major goes on and you need someone to talk to, don't hesitate to call. I still want to know if anything major happens to you, okay?"

"Okay. Have fun on the trip."

Her face fell into a slight frown. "Business trips are never for pleasure."

I shrugged. "I tried, didn't I?"

With a careful, parting hug on Pepper's part, she left for her trip. I resumed eating my breakfast. When my phone buzzed, I nearly knocked it off the counter just reaching for it. I didn't know why I was expecting it to be Seth with some news, I hadn't given him my number. Instead, it was Steve.

Feel like taking a walk with me today?

Are you crazy?

The weather's supposed to be pretty mild today, actually.

You sure that's a safe idea?

We'll know what to do should anything bad happen.

I pursed my lips. Instead of keeping me in the tower where it was much safer, Steve wanted to take a walk. I guess it couldn't hurt. I had Stark's heat detection bracelet still on me, and Steve would know what to do if Stark couldn't reach me in time to cool me off.

How soon can you get here?

When I didn't get an answer, I assumed Steve was already on his way. So while I waited for his inevitable arrival, I went to one of the many bathrooms in the tower to clean up a bit.

I'm okay right now, I told Todd through thoughts. Keep focusing on what you have to do, and I'll focus on what I need to do. When I didn't hear anything back, I assumed my connection to him was on the fritz again. If my fire wasn't trying to slowly burn me alive from inside, my thought talk wasn't working right. I guess it could be far worse than this.

I made sure to dress for outside: some capri pants and a sleeveless top would work just fine. I blew out my hair and then twisted it up. By the time I found the main floor of the tower, Steve was letting himself in. He offered me a timid smile.