13. Backup

"Not to be mean, Kia, but I really think we need to have fire extinguishers on hand with you."

I tried to not take offense to Stark's comment, as I had just randomly set the floor on fire, again. He, on top of J.A.R.V.I.S. (with the active sprinkler system in the tower) was helping put out the fire that I had created. For Stark's sake (and his safety), he didn't dare dowse me in the fire extinguisher foam.

This was about the fifth time in a week that this had happened. When I had come back to Stark Tower, everything had been fine. Steve had dropped me off, Natasha had declined and said she'd had something she'd needed to look into for S.H.I.E.L.D. Whether or not it was true, she was just finding an excuse to stay away from me. I knew she feared for her life, she'd seen a fellow agent die by my hand (even if it was an accident). She didn't want to be another one to add to that number.

"You might as well make a suit that shoots the foam at me any time I try to use my power," I deadpanned, staying away from the foam as Stark put the last of the fire out. "I'm using up your supply this way."

"If I had the time and investment to do so, I would." The extinguisher hung limp at Stark's side. "I'm focused on something more important."

"More important that your newly refurbished tower?"

He nodded. "That'd be you, firefly."

I couldn't laugh, even if it wasn't an attempt at humor on Stark's part. I had to watch myself, what I did, how I did something, what I said. I always had to look out for a spark somewhere nearby in case it grew into a blaze. The only perk was that Stark was being hospitable, and he let me keep in touch with Todd since I arrived here.

"You know, if you had your powers under more control, I wouldn't need to use a stove," Stark commented.

"Oh, ha-ha."

"Seriously, though." He started to leave my room, and I felt compelled to follow behind him. "I'm no doctor, but you're still a friend. Maybe I can find something that S.H.I.E.L.D. can't." We both got into the elevator.

"Let's hope that's the case," I murmured. Since Natasha had told me no cure had been found yet, my hope was slowly diminishing. I had to keep fighting through the days.

"You know, you can leave to go mingle or whatever it is you do in your spare time. This place isn't a prison."

"I'd rather be a danger to you and J.A.R.V.I.S. than the population of New York," I said thoughtfully. "I just...I don't want to cause any more damage. No more killings."

"Wait...what killings?"

I bit down on my lip. "Oh, so Nat didn't mention it."

Stark looked at me, brown eyes widened. "Mention what, Kia?"

"Oh, I, uh, might've accidentally set an agent on fire..."

"Wonderful." Stark rubbed his face with one hand.

"It wasn't like it was pre-meditated! It just...happened. And I couldn't save them." I leaned against a wall of the elevator, the cool touch of it surprisingly calming me.

My phone buzzed in my pocket, and I looked at the message. I smiled a bit, but it didn't feel genuine.

How are you today?

Steve seemed to be about the only one, other than Todd, who was taking this seriously and really cared about my wellbeing. I guess it was because Steve wasn't doing any S.H.I.E.L.D. missions and needed something to focus on. Todd's reasoning...Well, he was my best friend.