26. Jailbreak

I drummed my fingers anxiously against the arms of the chair. I couldn't reach out to any of my friends. They had no idea where I was. I had no idea where I was.

I was given light from the window on the door. This was what I had woken up to after I had dozed off. I heard voices on the other side, but they were so low I couldn't make out any words.

I closed my eyes. If there was ever a time I needed my other power to work, now would be the ideal time. Guys, I'm sorry for whatever's about to happen. I caused this. Whoever survives and rescues me, you can chew me out for this. S.H.I.E.L.D. can put me on threat watch or cage me up like an animal. Hell, I can even ask Thor to throw me into Asgardian prison when it's possible. I never wanted this to happen.

I felt the guilty tears stream down my face. There was no way I could prevent this. I couldn't undo any of this. I could never forgive myself if anyone died, whether it be strangers or Tony, or Bruce, or Steve, or Natasha, or Clint, or Todd...

I seized my fists up. Whatever serum Seth had given me had to have reduced my strength too. These restraints shouldn't be able to hold me back. These shouldn't be able to keep me down.

I screamed in outrage.

"Crazy bitch," I heard a voice say. "Good thing she's gonna be put down."

"Why can't we just do it now? We're here, she's in there," said another voice. "She can't do anything."

Normally, I would fear for my life, but right now, I was so mad that I wasn't. Crazy bitch, huh? Do they realize that they're working for one?

"No, they said to keep her alive," said Voice One. "We'll lose our lives if we take hers."

"There's always the chance we can make it—"

"They're not stupid, they would know it was one of us. Besides, how could you stage that to be suicide?"

I stomped my feet on the ground impatiently like a rabid animal. Come on, if there was ever a time I wanted this serum to fail, now would be the opportune moment. Give me a sign, someone. Anything.

"What was that?" said Voice Two.

I picked my head up at hearing guns click. Was someone here for me?

Gunfire outside my room confirmed it.

"Here!" I shouted at the top of my lungs. "I'm in here!"

"Don't let them reach her!" shouted Voice One.

The door to my room shot open, hitting the wall with a loud bang, and the owner of Voice Two came barreling in. She was a stern-faced, middle-aged woman, with auburn hair in a tight bun. She spun around to aim the gun at the open doorway, where thanks to that, louder gunfire could reach my ears.

"I'm in here!" I cried out in pain as the woman struck me across the face with the butt of her gun. I glared at her malevolently as she placed the barrel of the gun on my forehead.

"One more word, and your brains are on the walls," she threatened darkly. She and I exchanged in a silent death stare contest. I heaved in breaths, debating on whether or not to call the woman's bluff. But this shot could kill you. Seth could've made you humanly vulnerable now.

My lips scrunched into an ugly frown as the woman kept the gun on my forehead.

I shrunk away when she suddenly keeled over. An arrow was lodged in her back. Oh my Gods. I looked up, and I couldn't have been happier to see familiar faces.