17. Checking In

Seth could solve my problems?

Wait a second! You've only met this man once before now! He didn't say a damn thing about being with S.H.I.E.L.D. I looked at Seth critically with blue eyes. "And you expect me to believe you've got a cure in your pocket?"

He shook his head. "No, back at my place."

"But you said you were with S.H.I.E.L.D."

"I work off-base too. I never stop." He chuckled. "Kind of a workaholic."

I crossed my arms even though it was one of the worst things to do in the heat. "Could you give me proof?"

"If that's what it takes for you to believe me, then I'll give you proof that I am who I say I am."

"How long is that going to take?"

"Hopefully not long. Hopefully before you combust."

I flinched. "Wonderful."

"Sorry, I didn't mean to say that." Seth cleared his throat awkwardly. "Here." He held out a card for me. "My number, if I don't reach out to you in the near future."

I quirked my mouth in suspicion. "This isn't an elaborate plot that helped you slip me your number, is it?"

He chuckled. "Oh, no. When I give a girl my number, I'm way more direct." He winked, nodding towards the slip of paper in my hand.

I was left standing in the New York heat, with some possible hope between my fingers. My mind was reeling. I had the possibility of being cured!

That was if I decided Seth checked out though.

But something still wasn't adding up. If Seth worked for S.H.I.E.L.D., then why wouldn't he purpose his idea to the organization? Would this be his way to be an unsung hero and try to be heroic? Was it for some promotion that he was striving for?

A bump from a stranger pulled me out of my dazed state. I tucked the card away. I winced at feeling the burning in my chest again. Oh no, not here. I decided to end my venturing early by finding my way back to Stark Tower before something happened, like me setting another person or building on fire.

* * *

I kept the bracelet that Stark gave me on even after I came back into the tower. It might as well stay there for the rest of this situation, no matter how it ended.

I hadn't reached out to Steve, I was mulling over the number I was now staring at. I was surprised I didn't make it burst into flames with a look alone. I'd put the number in my phone beforehand anyway, so it wouldn't be a total loss if the paper disappeared.

Earlier, I had been confused, torn. I still was. What if this was false hope, too, that Seth was proposing? What if he was just another failed attempt? And what if nothing came back from Asgard to help me?

It was either I got help or I died, those were my only options at this point. And I wasn't looking forward to dying, especially the way I was thinking I was going to go at this rate.

I checked my phone when I felt it buzz beside me. It was Pepper of all people.

Coming down for dinner?

When Pepper was here, it was one more person I had to be careful around. But she acted like nothing was wrong with me and treated me the same, like I wasn't a fragile piece of glass. She went on like everything was fine. I guess when you ran Stark Industries, the company took priority over most matters.

I'll be down in a few.

After making myself a little more presentable, I found my way into a dining room, where Pepper, Stark, and Bruce were around. But they weren't the only three.