Five ⋆ Part 1

I was staring across to each tree born wand, naked from winter's rasp. The winter dress made for me kept me warm with its thick emerald fabric, and the winter sun soaked into my face to remind me of its power.

I had my hands firm against the stone railing, leaning out to examine winter's crystalline joy. Only every now and then did my breath rise as neat and pure vapor blocking my eyesight. The brilliant rays showed to me the uniqueness of every snowflake that landed against my hands.

Today was the last of my freedom, as King Thaddeus would be returning from his five day long trek into the bare trees. He had said he had business to attend to, and I didn't mind the peacefulness brought about his departure. But today he returns. Today is my last day I get to enjoy leaving the confinement of the infirmary before the sunsets and night falls.

I sigh, turning to make my way back inside the castle walls.

I had been working everyday to figure out King Thaddeus's cure. With him gone, it was more of a relaxing experience as I could forget the blackness within him and imagine a more easily curable thing, such as morning sickness.

Elora had opened up to me in the past few days after the incident with King Thaddeus, telling me that she is only two months along and that she hopes the baby looks more like the father than her.

Although, she still wouldn't tell me who the father was out of fear for his life. I didn't pester her about it, knowing myself what it is like to try to protect others. But she knew, she knew King Thaddeus would torture the name out of her when he returns.

As I round the corridor leading to the infirmary I think over my plan. I was to draw both King Thaddeus's and Elora's blood to compare the differences between the siblings, one which was born with the curse and another who was not. However, the idea made Elora wheezy. But, she still met me in the infirmary as we agreed.

"It's not going to hurt, right?" Elora's red eyebrows bent upwards in concern.

"It will be quick. I will heal you right after, so you will feel minimal pain." I take some of the heavy cloth of the dress off of me, setting them on a chair. I grab a glass jar, setting it on a table between Elora and I. I grab an unsheathed knife, and with my free hand, I motion Elora to step forwards. She willingly steps to me, holding her hand out.

I grab her hand, pull it over the jar, and raise my eyes to hers. She nods to me and I quickly slice down her palm. She digs her nails into the cut, closing her eyes tightly to the pain. The jar quickly filled half way, and I took no time to slice my own palm.

I grabbed her hand with mine and watched as her eyes became less wrinkled. When she opened them, she went into her daze again, with the same feeling she got from me healing her burn a week ago.

Elora had told me she couldn't use her psych powers on the child that grew within her, so she could only imagine the future for her unborn child. Of course, I feared that her psych powers didn't work on the child because of the possibility that they have the curse. Apparently, King Thaddeus's curse blocks her powers, causing her to be in the dark about her brother.

I payed no attention to her daze this time, but still the question lingered in my mind of whether or not it meant I wouldn't find the cure.

I placed the cap on the jar and set it aside on a shelf. I glance over, noticing the old leathered book King Thaddeus's past healers used. Elora saw my glance, and quickly speaks up.