Seven ⋆ Part 1

Thaddeus just sat silently, staring at me. He was waiting for me to speak, but I refused since the ambush. Yet, no words spoke so much to me. From seeing his eyes pierce into me through his dark, thick lashes for hours on end, I have come to understand him better.

King Thaddeus doesn't take kindly to being lied to. He expects honesty within his kingdom, amongst his subjects, and from others.

He reminded me much of the Sun that way; in the story of the Sun and the Moon, both whom loved one another so closely until the Moon lied to the Sun. As a result, the Sun cast the Moon away to only shine at night.

It was just a story though. He was a real being.

From the last time I gazed out the window, I noticed snow was no longer in sight. The grass was vibrant and alive. I wanted nothing more than to jump out of the carriage and feel the grass tickle my skin for the first time in seven years.

The winters in the north are bitter and long, draining any life and consuming any memories of warmth, making me forget how surging the heat can be.

I stopped leaning my head against the wall. I had been pretending to sleep, but I couldn't keep the facade up any longer while wearing my cloak and thick fabrics. I was sweating myself to death.

"How much longer until we arrive?" I take my cloak off, hoping to cool myself.

"Soon," Thaddeus reassures.

"Can we stop at all? I need to change into something thinner," I complained.

"No," Thaddeus objected.

"Why not?" I argue.

"Because," he began. The carriage suddenly came to a stop. My body stiffens, my eyes going wide, worried of the threat of burglars once again. Thaddeus leans forward to me, his hands resting on his knees. "We are here."

I let out a breath of relief, finally allowing myself to hear the trumpets playing at our arrival. The journey was over. Watching Thaddeus give me a warning look to follow through with his plan, however, made me tense once again.

I chew on the inside of my cheek while he opens the door.

Once out, he held his large hand for me to take as assistance. I hesitantly do.

I couldn't help but glare at the step I had smacked my head on that caused a pounding headache during most of the travel before the blinding whiteness blocked my view. By the time my eyes finally adjusted to the sunlight, I swallowed hard.

Before a graveled pathway stood servants and guards, lined on each side. They led to a beautiful white castle. It was large, however smaller than Thaddeus's, but all the more beautiful.

It was vivid against the green grass and gardens surrounding all around. Vines lined the bricks walls, each blooming with leaves and flowers I had never seen before. My jaw was dropping in awe at the luscious sight of colors.

I inhale deeply. The smell in the air was clean and floral like, something sweet lingered from the fresh pollen.

The trumpets sang loud again, echoing harshly in my ears, drawing my attention back to the pathway. A man, no younger than forty, revealed himself at the opposite end as us.

The trumpets rang once more, and from a side came a younger man. He was about average height, and his hair was a golden color.

The younger man turned his back to us, leaning over King Martell's shoulder.

"What are they doing?" I whisper to Thaddeus.

"They are talking about Prince Demios. King Martell is wondering where he is," Thaddeus whispers back, his wolf being able to hear farther than my ears could.