CHAPTER X

Emma, as they walked in the garden, examined Esther's pendant which was now in her possession

Emma, as they walked in the garden, examined Esther's pendant which was now in her possession. The duke had removed it from its shackles around his neck upon her request.

"So you were the stranger she was meeting." she said.

"I am." A small bow from the duke.

"This pendant. Did you know I have this too?" She reached for her dress pocket, and eventually revealed a similar necklace. "I do not want fath-" She stopped in remembrance of the gun pointed towards her just three days prior, but upon tightening her clutches upon the pendant managed to open it once again with new found strength. "...the earl to see it on me, for he will definitely inquire its giver. Esther bought it in town through one of her excursions. We are not allowed to venture out, you see. The earl forbade it. Only when invited or when he is around that an excursion is allowed. He is very...strict."

She closed her eyes and breathed in preparation for the succeding words. Then her thoughts halted from flowing. She did not want to divulge any of this truth to this stranger. This is most uncomfortable! For she had already given him a piece of information- which were the pendants! His full interest must be triggered by now. What if he lets the ton know?! What if the earl hears of the contents of this private conversation? What is to become of her...of Esther?

"You can trust me, Miss Carlisle." The duke said as if reading her thoughts. His grey eyes reassuring but also intimidating. It was the type that bore a certain mystery and passion. Women get lost in these orbs I see. She thought. Esther was enticed by these too? But the man has a reputation! How does she know that this gentleman's affections for her beloved Esther are pure?

"How may I ask do I trust you, Your Grace?"

The duke only smiled at her. She found that he was very much unmoved by her retort, and this only peaked her guard even more.

"Forgive me, Miss Carlisle, if I have done something to raise your distrust." He bowed. "For this, I think it best to reveal my side of the story first."

She nodded her agreement. This man, indeed, knew how to haggle. And so the duke began his tale. From when he unintentionally pretended to be a groom until the event three days before. Emma would give small gasps- especially the gunpoint by the ruffian -of shock from time to time.

She stared at him in complete incredulity when he mentioned Esther's revelation of her, their, past! This was a spectacle indeed! How did this man manage to gain the trust of her especially guarded Esther? For although she has cocealed Emma's and the earl's identity in her account towards him, it was still dangerous to divulge it like that! And in such short an aquaintance!