Chapter 30: Slaying a Beast

^^Thank MagicxWand for the awesome drawing of Angelos-Luce. It's EPIC! :D And the pun is so...*squeals.* Ah! Loving it! 

***

Gatsby.

Cat would've killed me whether she meant to or not. With her strength, she would've snapped my neck in two seconds or yanked the rope so hard I choked to death. I had to play dead, but I never thought Angel—Lucifer—would react like that. If I knew, I would've tried something different.

The only thing worse than watching my friend become a psycho was my conversation with Heaven as it happened. 

"He made me promise to kill him if he hurt anyone with his powers! I can't do that!"

"You think he wants this? For God's sake, take him out of his freaking misery!"

"He's not a dog! I can't just 'put him down!'"

"You're being cruel! People put down pets because they don't want them to suffer! You don't think Angel's suffering? You'll have to kill him eventually, he's telekinetic, insane, with godlike powers and nothing to lose! What will he do to your city? You want to protect people, don't you?"

Silence. "I can't."

"If you don't, I will."

When I said it, I felt awful. 

But it's true. 

Staring at that flaming, deranged monster-of-a-super, I know my 'beloved' Angel is gone. If ever he comes to, he'll never live with the guilt. I think of his pain when he realizes he, the 'gentle giant,' nearly killed someone a second time. Heaven told me how he reacted the night he almost killed her, and I know he'll destroy himself to save others from his powers. Angel doesn't deserve that pain, and it's my duty to spare him from it.

I'll make it merciful. One stab through his chest. Cat's sword sits to the side, a few feet away from Angel—ergh, Lucifer and the villian. I stare at his wings, their glow lighting the room in a devilish haunt. They're kind of pretty, so long and inky they remind me of lit up raven wings.

"You," he says, almost whispering, "you're..."

"Yeah, yeah, lover boy. She's me or I'm her."

"But you—"

"I needed to get to know you. Gain your trust."

His shoulders sag, and I've never felt sorrier for him. I force myself not to think as I race to the side, snatching the black sword on my way past. His aura grows like angry flames. I hold my breath and raise the blade.

He drops his prisoner. Cat yelps, landing with a gut-wrenching 'crunch.' Luce's aura fades, the room's villains muttering so softly I strain to hear. They wisely take off. That Fallout guy looks back at Luce, the emptiness in the man's eyes sending shivers down my spine. Galaxy gives chase, leaving the room empty enough for a death match.

I grip the sword's handle and he drops to his knees as if crushed by an invisible force. His glowing wings shield his trembling shoulders, dark hair like a waterfall on the back of his neck. I slink behind him. Angelos has to die; he'll do the deed himself if I don't get to him first. I try to forget about the morals of the act or all the good times we had together as I raise the sword.

"Gats?" he says, the flames fading. With his back to me like that, for me to kill him is execution. I can't do that! Can I? His aura bursts back. I swing the blade down, but he's fast. He whips to face me, and I slash again. He dodges. His eyes glow a sick maroon, a slow, cruel grin spreading across his face. "It's nice to see you're alive."