Chapter 34: Deadly Consequences

Angelos.

Energy saps from my neck, the skin burning where Jaylin holds the sword to it. My chest hurts. I want to be the good guy, the cowboy with a rose tucked in his gun-less holster, but if Jaylin wants to play rough, I'll do the same.

I stare at my pants, the fabric torn and bloodied. My heart thumps, and I try to steady my shaking hands.

I'm more moody and angst-ridden than ever. Teenagers shouldn't have to deal with this stuff. If I were to appear on Dr. Phil, I'd describe my 'feelings' as "I want to kill, I want to die, I want to save my friends, I want to love, be loved, all that stuff, and to top it off if I don't eat something soon I'll strangle someone."

I imagine the guy nodding. "Uh-huh. Explain."

"I can't."

"How do you plan on stabilizing?"

"By, uh, being...nice? I don't know!"

Oh, God. I'm having pretend conversations with Dr. Phil. I need help.

I stare at Galaxy. She's loud, she's bossy, but never emotionless. Even in Galaxy form I always know her mood. She's predictable that way, and I love that about her. That's why Robot-Hev's scarier than angry Hev. Jay draws the sword in nervous crisscrosses on the back of my neck. "Don't test me, Gal."

Gal's eyes flash. "Scared?"

I twist the insides of my pocket. If I disarm Jay-Cat, I'm Bruce Lee. And a ninja. I dig into my action movie reserve, pasting together combos. If I can dance, then maybe I can fight.

"You take way too many risks, Galaxy," Jaylin says, and the pressure in my chest builds. "I hope you can sleep at night knowing your friend is dead because of you." Youch. With that, she slips the blade against my throat.

The hero steps closer, and Cat presses the sword even harder. It burns! I slacken against the villain, giving her my best whimper. She doesn't let up on the pressure, but I can feel her body tremble against mine.

I don't know what to think of her, all I can trust is that she cares enough to spare me. She's threatened to kill me before, but I can't help thinking she's more than cobwebs and evil plans. She cried. If she has emotions, there has to be some good in her.

"You're all bluff and no bite." Galaxy walks up, and chills creep up my spine. I imagine the smile under her mask. I evaluate my plan. 3...2...

Cat snorts. "Yeah, no—"

I grab the blade and push it away with all my strength. Part of me screams I'm stupid, but I ignore it and kick out my leg with a resounding SMACK! The girl buckles back. I grab her arm and fling her in front of me. She's surprisingly light, even without my strength. 

Jaylin tumbles over me, crashing in a heap of surprised villain at my hands. She raises her sword for a slash, but I tackle her. My lungs burn as I fight to knock the blade from her hand. She thrashes under my weight, but she's pinned. I might actually win this one.

CRACK! Something connects with my ribs, and one of the wounds Gats gave me earlier tears open. I scream. My side pounds, colors flashing over my eyes. The sheer force of the blow sends me flying. With a 'crack' I smack into drywall.

Every injury Gats threw at me seems new again, pain flaring from every limb. My 'wings' crumple behind me, so heavy they pull me down with them. I hit the floor, head spinning.

"What the—Heaven!" Gats says, probably woken by my screaming. I stare at the ceiling, forcing myself to kick the pain from my mind. There's so much I don't even feel it, I just hear the crash of the ocean and the buzzing of insects. Who could've kicked me? The only person near enough was—