Chapter 39: A Whole New World

I follow her instructions exactly. This place is massive, and at every turn I think someone will pop out at me. The walls darken to an ugly custard color and I try not to take it as a bad omen.

Gats stays silent, but not a good silent. More like an angry, you're-so-stupid-I-won't-lower-my-IQ-by-talking-to-you type silent. I return it by staying equally quiet. Jaylin doesn't fight, and I can't tell if she wants to help me or if she's just satisfied I fell into her trap.

I tell myself it can't be. She wouldn't take that much of a gamble with her life, would she? She knows I'm not the same guy I was a few weeks ago. Maybe I wouldn't hurt her then, but now, I don't know.

Thick black drapes hang in front of the windows, and I ignore the trapped feeling in my chest. It's so empty, the lights flicking on and off, and my panic only mounts. At last, Jaylin speaks up and breaks the quiet.

"There," she says, pointing at a gray door. My heart leaps. I squint my good eye to get a better look.

"Heaven's heartbeat is really slow," Gats says, almost out of nowhere. "I'm begging you, Cat, don't trick us. She needs medical attention. Now."

"Trust me," Jaylin says, and I almost laugh. If my best friend weren't dying, I probably would. Instead, I don't say anything and walk towards the door. Please be safe. I want to go home. I press my ear against the cool surface, waiting to hear the tick of a bomb or the bumbling of henchmen. Nothing. Beautiful, blessed silence. "Moron," Jaylin adds, and I kick the door open.

A rush of wind hits me, and I drink in the cool spring air. I close my working eye and step into the outside world. Slats sink under my feet, and the all too familiar feeling sends my heart into my throat. The night on Death Tower is seared into my memory, I can't escape that. My eye pops back open.

Stars gleam overhead, pouring white light over the concrete rooftop beneath me. Buildings poke at the backdrop, and I almost scream. Stupid Jaylin! No!

I feel the free fall again and her tight embrace as she catches me. I think of the way she held me, the way she lied. Even now, my horrible parents don't scare me as much as she does.

She bursts into howling laughter. The paralyzing fear races through me like toxins. I can barely keep up my hold. I'm going to fall. I'm going to die. "You wanted out?" Cat asks. "I got you out."

"This isn't funny!" Gatsby's voice bursts from my blind side. I wince. "Heaven's dying! Are you that cruel?"

"Ay, shut up, pretty boy!" She waves a hand. "There's a ladder thing, a fire escape. If I lead you to the front you'd be ambushed, idiot."

My heart slows. I sandwich her against me. She sighs, curling a strand of brown hair around her index finger. "You should let me go, huh? Great way to repay a good deed." I almost do. Even after all she did, helping us escape like this is, well, kind of decent.

"Gats, go check it out," I say, tilting my head to see him. His snowy hair glows beneath the moonlight, his ears like devil horns. He nods and rushes to the edge.

"It's kind of unstable and I don't think it'll carry much weight," Jaylin says, "you better take Gal-Heaven down, and have Angel climb second."

With my wings, I must weigh more than a silverback gorilla. I nod. "Fair enough."

Gats huffs, adjusting a sleeping Hev over his shoulder. "Thank you, Cat."

"When you hit the ground, run," she says, "far. Neutrals are everywhere. If they catch you, you're screwed. Seriously, I know you shouldn't take alleyways, but if you see any, take them. The farther you can get, the better." He tenses at her tone, and I do too. This escape is going to be harder than I bargained for, and I don't think I can take it. She continues. "This part of the city is pretty deserted. Stores are empty, boarded up, that type thing. There's one diner-it's the only place lit up-use it to call for help."