Chapter 8

"Are you sure you want to leave? I would still say another couple of weeks will be good for Samreen," Ghazala's forehead creased with worried lines.

"I am sure Mom. It's been 6 weeks since Salim was born, we need to start our life with the baby. How much more can we depend on you? As for Samreen I will try my best to help her out." Faraz said as he buckled baby Salim in the baby car seat.

"Beta, you need to be patient with Samreen. She has her hands full right now with three young children," Ghazala advised her son, still concerned about how the young couple will fare.

"Don't worry Mom. Has Samreen ever complained to you about me?" Faraz said, standing upright to his six feet one height.

Ghazala shook her head slightly, "Nahi beta, but men can be impatient that's what I am trying to tell you. I have been in Samreen's position when I had baby Arbaaz and Nawal was a toddler. Although you and Shahbaz were older still you all were dependent on me."

Embracing his Mom in a bear hug, he reassured her distress, "You don't need to take your daughter in law's side I understand."

"Good, I want to see you being a good father and even a better husband." Ghazala said, stepping back from her son.

"inshaa Allah" Faraz murmured as he carried the baby car seat outside the house to fasten it in the car.

Ghazala turned to Samreen who was wiping Liyaanah's chocolate smeared face. Ghazala was apprehensive about her daughter in law as to how she will manage three children under 5 years old.

"Bhabi, I will take Daniyaal to the car," Nawal shouted as she made her to the front door carrying Daniyal in her arms.

"Liyaa, don't run ok and stand by your father when he seats Daniyaal in the car, Ok?" Samreen enjoined her daughter as she wiped her dirty hands with the wet wipe.

"Ok Mommy," she skipped outside.

Finally alone with her daughter in law, Ghazala spoke, "Beti, come over when you are feeling down. And if you want I can send Nawal over during the weekends so she can help you."

Samreen smiled in gratitude, "No Mom that's all right. Thank you so much, you took great care of me just like my own Ammi would," she engulfed the older woman in a warm hug.

"Nahi beti, you are same as Nawal to me." Ghazala replied moving back and kissing her daughter in law's forehead. "Oh before I forget I made you some new batch of panjeeri (a concoction of dry fruit, pure ghee, sugar and other ingredients)."

"Mom, I will gain more weight eating all that. As it is I feel I haven't lost much after the baby." Samreen groaned.

"Nonsense, I have made the panjeeri into bars similar to chocolate bars so you can take one out and eat with tea or just as a snack. I want you to eat at least two bars a day." When Samreen hesitated to take the box from her mother in law, Ghazala pressed, "This will not make you fat but rather you will get stronger." Her voice softened, "You need your strength for your children."

"Yes, you are right," sighing she took the box full of the panjeeri bars.

"And feel free to complain to me if Faraz isn't helping you out." Ghazala stated frankly.

Samreen chuckled, "I will definitely remember that."

"Take care my dear. I will miss you and the kids," Ghazala raised her hand and brushed it over Samreen's hijab-clad head as a gesture of blessing her with prayers, "May Allah always keep you and Faraz happy. Ameen."