Alpha's Babies - 5

2 years later...

"Urgh! Tara, have you seen Caden's other shoe?" I yelled to her as I searched under the beds.
"Nope. Maybe he's already wearing them?"
I took my head out from under the bed and looked at her. "This is Caden we're talking about."
Tara was sat on the armchair, as Corbin sat obediently as she fluffed up his curls. Both of them used to have masses of brown curls but now I bravely decided to shave the sides and back of their hair so that only the top was curly.

"Where is that little rascal anyway?" she asked. My eyes widened. I couldn't leave that boy on his own for two seconds otherwise who knows what horrific deeds he could be up to.
"Oh, gawd, he's probably set himself on fire or something!" I said dramatically.

I ran to the bathroom to find him infront of the toilet, stirring the toilet water with my favourite Mac makeup brush.
He spun around and blinked his blue eyes at me "Uh-oh,"
"Uh-oh indeed!" I said wrenching the brush from his fist and, much to my displeasure, threw it in the bin.

He looked down "Caycay been bad boy," he said. He was probably used to everyone saying that to him everyday of his life.
"Yes, very, very bad," I said through gritted teeth washing his hands throughly and then marching him out.
It was their birthday today and trying to be on time for their own party was a nightmare.
I had a feeling that Jason lied to me when he said normal pups are the same as Alpha pups.
Alpha pups have ten times more energy!

Tara giggled when she saw my stern face and Caden's guilty one.
"Oh, Caden. What are we going to do with you, you bad boy?" she said as she tied Corbin's blue tie around his neck.
I did the same with Caden.
"And we still need to find his other shoe," I said wearily.
There was a brief knock on the door and Derek walked in.
"Derek!" the twins both yelled.

Corbin wasn't much of a talker yet and was just a one word type of guy.
"Hey, boys! Happy Birthday!"
Caden ran away from me and into his arms.
Corbin slid down from Tara's lap and copied Caden.
Derek kissed them both and then came over to me and kissed me.
"Hey, honey, Everyone's already in the garden. All we need is the boys now,"
I tugged nervously at my hair
"But Caden's shoe..."

Derek rolled his eyes and set the twins down on the bed.
"It's a nice evening, Noones gonna notice if they come barefoot. In fact, it might just be the best thing anyone's ever seen." he said.
He slipped both of Corbin's shoes and socks off and did the same with Caden. Then he got the ends of their beige trousers and rolled them up a few times and the same with their shirt sleeves, then he loosened their ties.

"There! A nice casual birthday," he said smiling proudly. I wrapped my arms around his neck. "Oh, I love you," I sighed.
Derek shrugged "I treat them like my own,"
Derek was the best thing that had ever happened to me. He was just an overall better person than Zach and maybe even Jason.
We'd been dating ever since I arrived here and I found myself secretly wishing he was my mate instead.

He got Caden and kissed him, "Are you guys ready to get high and drunk off apple juice and cake?"
"Yeah!" Caden yelled, waving his hands so wildly, he nearly hit Derek in the face.
I got Corbin and swung him on my hip.
"Lets go before everyone gets restless," I said, feeling restless myself.
I hadn't even bothered to make an effort with dressing up, just a sweater and jeans. I was so busy with everyone else, I forgot about myself.

We all trooped down the pack stairs (Maya and I never got round to buying a house so I decided to just stay in that room) and out the door to the back garden.
Kory and a few other men from the pack were in charge of decoration and I must say, they did a brilliant job.
They went to the liberty of hanging fairy lights all over the place so that it so magical against the evening sky,
White balloons were swaying in the breeze and there was some upbeat remixed music versions to children's nursery rhymes.

The whole pack was there and it kinda made me wanna cry. I hadn't been here for long yet they treated me like I'd grown up here.
Everyone cheered and clapped when the twins came, Caden scrambled down and ran towards the crowd but Corbin hung back watching his brother.

I set him down and gave him a little push to encourage him. He gave me a hesitant look.
"Go on, son," Derek said. Corbin sucked on his bottom lip but then made his way over to Caden.

Derek put his arm around me and kissed my temple. "We've raised some good kids," he said.
I snuggled into him even more. "Yeah,"
I wished like crazy that Derek was their real dad. He was just so...perfect.
But I also wished that Jason, Kale and Luke were here. I haven't spoken to any of them ever since I left.
Especially not to Callie. That baby arm breaking cow.

"Drink?" Maya asked handing us both a fruit punch with some Mickey Mouse themed straws.
Derek drained his in one go. "I needed that. The twins' party kept me up all night,"
"Good thing too. Or else it wouldn't have been half as good," I said admiring the decorations and the way all the kids were jumping around carelessly to the music.
Maya rolled her eyes "I've never seen any couple so head over heels in love like this,"

I loved Derek, true, but my heart kinda still belonged to Colten. Even if I still don't know what he looked like or anything about him. It just felt right with him, like I was supposed to be in his arms. I don't even remember what happened after that night, we both fell asleep and then he just...went.
Maybe he went to get breakfast? Or maybe he just didn't feel the way I did.
What I do remember was Luke's face when he saw me in his bed with clothes all over the floor.
In hindsight - it was pretty funny.

Derek laughed his deep laugh and then steered me over to the twins.
They were all playing tag or something as equally violent.
Caden ran around carelessly with the other kids, probably not even knowing the rules to the game.
Corbin stuck his thumb in his mouth and just watched everyone play.
Derek went and crouched beside him.
"You wanna play, Coco?" he asked him.
Corbin buried his face in Derek's neck and shook his head.
"Go and play, look, Cay's having so much fun!" Derek said making Corbin look at the other kids.

Corbin blinked at his brother and then looked back at Derek.
"I don't want to, daddy,"

My heart leapt and I caught goosebumps and not in a good way. I had no idea the boys saw Derek as their dad. I didn't even know they knew what one was.
But I didn't like it, it didn't feel right for Derek to be known as their dad.
My mouth hung open. I wanted Derek to tell him gently that he wasn't and he'd got it all wrong but instead he hugged him and laughed.

I marched over, trying not to show my anger.
"Derek, let me borrow Corbin a second," I said, smiling fakely.
Derek handed him over without a second thought.
I took Corbin and once Derek was out of earshot I gripped Corbin.
"Baby, Derek is not your daddy, okay?" I said breathlessly.
Corbin stared at me and then replied "Derek, daddy!" He smiled.
"No, no," I said shaking my head "No, Derek no dad," I said slowly shaking my finger.

He frowned at me "Mommy, Derek daddy," he said firmly.
I wanted to cry then. "Corbin, baby, please listen -"
"Uh, Ray?"
I spun around to see the Beta, Nick, stood behind me. He looked all shaky and his green eyes darted around nervously.
"Ray, you need to go," he said, his voice wavering.

I frowned at him. "What?"
He grabbed my wrist and pulled me up. "You need to go, now. Please, grab Caden and go," he pleaded.
"Nick -"
He dug his hand into his pocket and pulled out two keys then he closed then in my fist.
"Please, Ray, you gotta get out of here. You know where my house is, take my car there. You and the boys,"

He looked absolutely mental, he was breathless and his hair stuck up.
"Nick, what are you doing?"
Nick looked like he was about to burst into tears and ran his hands through his hair wildly.
"Please, go. II'll explain later. Y-you can't be here!"
I folded my arms "Tell me what's happening and I'll go," I said defiantly.
His eyes darted around and he sniffed the air occasionally. "Remember how we've always told you that the Alpha doesn't like new members?"

Kory came running out of nowhere, carrying Caden in his arms and dropped him in my arms.
"C'mon, Raiven! Follow me,"
"Guys this is crazy! They haven't even had cake yet!"
Caden looked furious at having been brought here. "Mommy, I wanna dance!" he whined.

Kory looked at me, annoyed. "That is the least of your problems right now!" he yelled at me for the first time. I was taken aback.
"Don't you yell at -"
"Get down, now!" Nick growled suddenly. He grabbed me and threw me onto the floor and grabbed the kids too and pushed us under the table.

"Nick!" I exclaimed.
But he wasn't focused on me anymore. I looked up and both him and Kory had wide smiles on their faces.
Nick waved at someone above
"Hey, Alpha!" He yelled.
The music was cut off and there was silence.
I pushed the boys back and pressed a finger to my lips. Then I crawled out from the dark table slowly and peeped around the tablecloth.

A tall, muscly, guy was stood with his back to me. Suddenly, he pushed out his hand violently and claws slid out from his fingernails.
He brought his hand up in a brutal way and slashed four balloons
In one go.
"What the hell is going on here?"
He demanded.

I frowned where had I heard this voice before? It was familiar but it was that horrible anger in his voice that made it unrecognisable.
Nick kicked my gently back under the table.
I stuck my tongue out at him and carried on looking.
"Do I have to repeat myself?" the Alpha demanded, so many parents grabbed their children and pushed them behind. I saw Derek come out from the silent crowd.
"Uhm, Alpha - uh- we were just having a little pack get together." he said.

The Alpha stayed with his back to me and only looked sideways at Derek.
He was super attractive, he made Derek look like a goat.
"A get together? What are you guys five?"
"Alpha, sorry, we just -"
The Alpha held up a hand to stop him.
"You guys are lucky I came back a year earlier. What the hell would this pack be without me? Weak. That's what."

Corbin struggled from where he was,
Nick looked down and frowned at him.
"Corbin! Get back!" he hissed.
Corbin scrambled to get on his feet.
Nick glanced from me to the Alpha to Corbin.
"Ray! Do something!"

I sighed and tried pushing Corbin back. He shook his head and ran out. His eyes locked on Derek.
My heart started beating, I didn't want my son anywhere near that Alpha.
"Daddy!" Corbin yelled.
Everyone gasped as Corbin ran forward.
I clapped my hand over my mouth and moved back quickly, grabbing Caden under my arm.
I saw Nick and Kory swallow.
I started breathing heavily. "Oh Corbin, why?" I whispered.

"Daddy?" I heard the Alpha say. Derek let out a nervous chuckle. "Uhm, yeah. I - er - met s-someone..." Derek said.
I could feel everyone holding in their breath. I held my own breath.
"You met someone? And had a baby?"
"Uh - yeah,"

"Is she here?" he asked. I inched back holding Caden close.
"Uhm -"
"It's okay, I won't hurt her. I just wanna know,"
Derek cleared his throat "No, Alpha. She's not,"
Nick bit his lip nervously.

No one said anything. No one seemed to be breathing anymore. The suspense was horrible.
"Hey, little boy, where's your mom?" The alpha asked, not even bothering to put on a baby voice.
"Over there,"

There was a faint gasp. I started crying then. "Oh, Corbin!" I said closing my eyes. Of all the times where I'd encouraged him to speak, he chose now to listen to me?
"Coco been a bad boy," Caden whispered. I nodded, tears streaming down my face. "Yes, yes he has,"
I opened up my eyes and looked up at Nick and Kory.
They both looked at me apologetically and backed away from the table.

All of a sudden, the whole table was picked up and smashed violently against the brick wall, food, fruit punch and wooden splinters flew all over me and Caden. I screamed and grabbed him tighter than I ever have in my whole life.

We were exposed to everyone now. Derek looked like he wanted to step in but thought the better of it.
I could smell the Alpha better now, I knew who he was, but I didn't want to admit it to myself.
He marched to right in front of me.
I looked up, right at his face.
The face that had been a mystery for years.

He was hot. Like really hot. Like, 'oh my goodness do you live on the sun?' hot. His face was clenched but that gave him a more handsome effect.
He looked a lot like the twins and his eyes were a deep soothing blue and as soon as they met mine it took me back to that night.
The way he'd willingly punched Zach for me and the way he was so gentle...

He seemed to remember too because his eyes widened and his lips parted slightly. He breathed heavily and stared at me but then he looked at Caden, then Caden then Derek and Corbin then back to me. His eyebrows twitched a little and his chest heaved up and down.
He was stock still like he couldn't believe any of this.
It was like he was talking to me with his eyes. Asking me why I had babies with Derek.

I wanted to tell him that he'd got it all wrong. But how can you compromise with someone you're terrified of?
Kory touched the alpha's arm. He wrenched it away and he punched Kory right in the stomach making him double up but he never stopped his gaze on me.
I looked back at him helplessly, wanting to tell him about the twins.
His lips tightened up. He glared hard at Derek.
"Alpha -" Nick started trying to calm him down.
The alpha let out a low growl and made Nick backed away quickly.
"Speak to me and I will rip out your throat," He said through gritted teeth.

He glared at me and Caden with pure hatred.
Without warning he shifted violently in front of us. He turned into a pitch black wolf with crystal clear blue eyes.
He growled and snapped at me but then sped away but before he left he growled even harder at Derek and jumped and snapped at him, barely missing his face.

Corbin screamed and turned away.
The Alpha turned and jumped over the edge and disappeared.

All eyes were on me in stunned silence.
The only thing that broke the silence was the long distant howl of a heartbroken wolf.