30... The Fear

Oh, I've Been Worryin' That My Time Is A Little Unclear

I've Been Worryin' That I'm Losing The Ones I Hold Dear

I've Been Worryin' That We All Live Our Lives In The Confines Of Fear

***

1.2.3.4.5 Red Lights hanging over the track... all 5 lights out.

I stamped hard on the accelerator pedal as I dropped the clutch, eyes wide but hard with concentration. A quick glance to the right, a glance back into the mirrors and back to focusing forwards.

Into the breaking zone at turn 1 and I had a decent overlap on my teammate, squeezing myself around the corner and finding us now side by side once more, Rosberg pushed wide by Hamilton, leaving only the world champion ahead of the two Bulls. Now the battle between us began, my car nudging ahead through the Ss and slotting into 2nd place.

Easing myself in the next couple of laps became a blur of purple sectors and mirrors filled Red Bull livery. Now in DRS range of Hamilton I was beginning to try my luck at a pass, my chances thwarted by lap 6 with the safety car.

As the safety car ended a couple of laps later my rear view changed to that of a silver arrow, Rosberg having a go and managing to make a pass. But our battle was far from over. I kept myself glued to the tail of the Mercedes, biding my time until I found the perfect opportunity. There was absolutely no point in wasting my tyres on several failed attempts at an overtake.

Turn 1 of lap 12 was my opportunity, Rosberg running slightly wide and with my use of DRS having brought me right back on his hind quarter I dove down the inside. Now gluing myself to the back of Hamilton I made my pass on his teammate stick, Dan seeming to follow me through at the Ss.

With little time to take a breath I was now chasing down Hamilton, purple sectors lighting up again on my dash as I went back on the hunt. However it wasn't until a few laps later that my chance came.

It was again in sector 1 through the S bends. With my Bull raging as close to the Mercedes as I could get, I managed to sneak through after several tries.

"You are now P1 Noni, clear track ahead, lets keep that foot on the pedal," my engineer instructed. And so I did as he said, the cars behind leaving me be for now; I assumed having a fight amongst themselves.

It was quiet for a while boxing at lap 20 and holding the lead with all 4 front running cars having pitted at a similar time. Although now on slick tyres it was becoming much harder to hold of Rosberg's Mercedes, the power deficit of the Red Bull very apparent in the long straights. But with my nimble driving and good tyre degredation I somehow managed it up until the halfway stage of the Grand Prix.

It was then at lap 30, with both Mercedes cars bearing down on me that I was called in to the box. Opting for the harder of the two compound tyres, I was told to drive to the end. The hope that with a good strategy we could get a podium. Now in 3rd, I had a bright red Ferrari behind and the two silver arrows ahead; me and my car sandwiched between the three championship contenders.

Ten laps later and the order had been shuffled around a little more, Rosberg having been in to pit, but Hamilton and Vettel staying out and seeming to both be headed to the end without another stop. I was ahead, with Seb behind, followed by Rosberg and Hamilton. But before long it was silver in my mirrors instead of crimson, rosberg chasing me for a couple of laps until the yellow light on my dash alerted me to a virtual safety car.

"Debrie on track, box, box, box," came the call.

Taking the car into the pits I seemed to be followed in by a few cars. Praying for a quick stop I trained my eyes on the lights, hitting the accelerator as soon as it changed to green and mentally thanking the pit crew for no hiccups.