Chapter 20

A/N Thanks for all the feedback! As always, special thanks to my beta "Gotta" for giving me a head slap when I needed it! You're the best!

Tim was thoroughly enjoying his bubble bath and stuck his bottom lip out in a pout when Gibbs announced it was time to get out. Even though he was shivering and his skin resembled a prune, it didn't stop him from wanting to stay in the tub. "Come on big boy, let's get you warmed up." Gibbs said as he reached into the tub to grab him.

However, Tim had another idea and before Gibbs could get a grip on him, he tried to scoot back further into the tub. As he did so, his tiny hands slipped on the bottom of the tub causing his whole body to slide forward. Before he knew it, a wave of water rushed over him, as his upper body slid under the water as well. After what seemed like ages, but in reality was only a matter of seconds, Tim felt a pair of strong hands pull him out of the water.

All he could think about was how difficult it was to breathe. Gibbs raised him over his shoulder, forcefully patting his back in an attempt to clear the water from his lungs. At one point Tim was coughing so hard he began gagging.

The older man winced as his little boy struggled to breathe. The exertion from coughing was becoming too much for his little lungs to handle. After several tense minutes, and a litany of "Attaboy" and other endearments Tim was able to get a majority of the water out of his lungs. His breathing began slowly improving once the coughing subsided.

Gibbs took a deep breath and exhaled as he sat down on the toilet seat and wrapped Tim in a towel. Tim kept his gaze on the floor as he began shivering, most likely from shock and not from being cold. "Shh Timmy it's okay, I'm right here, I gotcha." Gibbs soothed as he wrapped his arms around the youngster to calm him down. They sat there for several minutes, Tim still refusing to look at Gibbs. "Hey kiddo," Gibbs whispered as he used his hand to tilt Tim's chin up so he could make eye contact. "You scared me to death, don't ever do that again!" Tears welled up in Tim's eyes, he felt horrible for scaring Gibbs like that.

"Sorry Gib," Tim sniffled as he buried his face into Gibbs' chest and started sobbing. Gibbs tightened his grip and slowly rubbed his hand up and down Tim's back. "It's okay son, I just love you too much to see something bad happen to you." Gibbs could feel the little guy nod against his chest so he picked him up and carried him back to the bedroom. After he got Tim dried and in a fresh diaper, he pulled out the sleepers they bought earlier that morning. "Hey sweetie, which set of jammies do you want to wear tonight?" Tim blushed and pointed to the camouflaged sleeper, Gibbs laughed, "You're a smart boy, trying to get back in my good graces?" Tim smiled and nodded, "Work?" Gibbs raised his eyebrows, "Of course it worked; now let's get these on, it's time for bed."

After he had dressed Tim, he leaned out the door and called down to Tony and Ziva, "Hey, can one of you bring me a bottle?"

"Sure Boss, I'll be right up." Tony replied from downstairs.

Gibbs carried Tim over to the recliner while they waited for Tony. He began rubbing his tummy, "You look so cute! I'm glad you let me pick out a pair for you." There was a quiet knock on the door as Gibbs settled back into the recliner with Tim cradled in his arms. "Come in" he ordered as Tony stepped into the room and laughed. He grabbed Tim's leg and shook it, "Nice pajamas, Probie" Tim blushed and buried his face in Gibbs' chest. "I'll have you know, that I picked out this pair, DiNozzo." Tony gave a sheepish smile and laughed, "Hmm...I would have never guessed it boss." Gibbs took the bottle from Tony and held it to Tim's lips. He began sucking, immediately closing his eyes and snuggling closer to Gibbs."

"Tony, first thing tomorrow morning I need you and Ziva at the jail. We need the security footage to know what the Greys talked about. I want to see the tape, so call me when you've returned to NCIS." Tony nodded and closed the door to head back downstairs. Gibbs turned his attention back to his baby and began running his fingers through his silky soft hair. Tim was relaxed, but not asleep as he contently nursed on the bottle. Gibbs began slowly rocking the chair back and forth, hoping the motion would allow Tim to drift off to sleep. His thoughts gravitated to the situation in the bathroom earlier. There were only a few times in his life when he had been that scared. He wouldn't have been able to live with himself if something bad happened to Tim. He knew the youngster felt bad enough; Gibbs was not going to punish him further. After all Tim was just a little guy, more importantly his little guy.