Chapter 22

Gibbs sagged against the door with relief after he left Vance's office. He took a moment to compose himself before going to look for Tim. Before he had the opportunity to even move, his cell phone was ringing. Gibbs sighed as he dug it out of his pocket and looked at the caller ID.

"Yeah, DiNozzo"

Tony stuttered, "B...B...oss, where are you? McGee's having a meltdown and we can't get him to calm down."

Gibbs could hear Tim crying in the background and quickly headed toward the bullpen. "I was with Vance, you didn't hurt him, did you DiNozzo?"

"No, Boss he just started crying, we have tried everything to calm him down, but he only wants you."

Even though he was scared of the possibility something was wrong with Tim, Gibbs couldn't help the smile that formed on his face when Tony said the little guy only wanted him.

"I'm on my way Tony." Gibbs reassured him then hung up the phone.

By the time Gibbs reached the catwalk, Tim's crying could be heard loud and clear. Other agents looked over their cubicles to watch a very unhappy Tim squirm in Tony's arms. Gibbs felt a rush of adrenaline kick in as he took the stairs two at a time to reach him.

Tony was bouncing Tim in his arms, trying to think of anything to say or do that would calm him down. When he saw Gibbs round the corner with his arms stretched out he breathed a sigh of relief and gently handed Tim over to the older man.

"Shh...shh...Timmy I'm here." Gibbs soothed bouncing the youngster in his arms.

However, Tim's crying did not dissipate it only increased. Gibbs walked toward the bathroom whispering reassurances and endearments in his ear. "Come on sweetie, you need to tell me what's wrong. Let me help you!"

He walked into the bathroom, confirming it was empty; he sat Tim on the sink. Tim's sobbing continued as Gibbs lifted his chin to make eye contact. "Okay son, will you please tell me what's wrong so I can fix it?" Tim continued whimpering, but managed to choke out, "Mizz you Gib."

Gibbs wasn't buying it; he couldn't imagine this meltdown was over him leaving for a few minutes. He picked the little guy up and scooted down his pants. "You're not dirty, are you?" Satisfied he wasn't, Gibbs laid him on his shoulder. The baby instinctively nuzzled closer to his neck and sighed. Gibbs rubbed his hand up and down Tim's back. "Are you sure nothing else is bothering you kiddo?"

Tim pulled back, looked Gibbs in the eyes and slowly nodded. "All right, but if I find out later on that you are hiding something from me, I'm not going to be happy."

They stayed in the bathroom for a few minutes while Tim composed himself; finally venturing out to the bullpen once again. As Gibbs walked past Ziva's desk, he noticed a mug shot of Lucy Grey lying on a stack of paperwork. He immediately stopped, picked up the picture and tapped Tim on the back with it. "Is this what had you so upset?" Tim took one look at the picture and immediately dissolved into a fresh set of tears.

Gibbs sighed as he put the picture down and wrapped both arms around the youngster. "So there was a reason you were upset, besides missing me." Gibbs felt Tim's grip grow tighter as he walked to his desk and sat down. He tried to move Tim so he was sitting on his lap, but the little guy wouldn't budge. Gibbs kept one hand moving up and down Tim's back and grimaced when he felt tremor after tremor rack his little body. Finally, after what seemed like hours, Tim's crying subsided and he pulled his body away from Gibbs, attempting to sit in his lap. "You're going to be okay, Tim," Gibbs whispered as he kissed the side of his head before shifting him so he could rest comfortably against his chest. Tim sniffled then used his shirtsleeve to wipe the tears from his eyes. Gibbs laughed, reached out for a Kleenex and held it up to Tim's nose instructing him to blow.

While Gibbs tended to Tim, the elevator dinged, the doors opened revealing Abby who was carrying two large shopping bags.

She stopped in the middle of the bullpen, dropped the bags on the floor and squatted down in front of Gibbs' desk. "Aww Timmy, what's wrong sweetie?" She whispered trying to show her concern, although not in her usual fashion. Tim closed his eyes and shook his head before burrowing closer to Gibbs. Abby shot Gibbs a concerned look, he attempted to reassure her by motioning to the bags on the floor. Abby's shopping trip had peaked both Tony and Ziva's curiosity and they leaned over their desks to see what she bought. She rummaged through the first bag and clicked her tongue when she couldn't find what she was looking for.

Tony stood up and watched Abby fumble through the bags, "Jeez Abby, how much did you buy for Tiny Tim?"

Abby stopped looking and turned toward Tony, "I got him a bunch of toys and some teething rings. Is that a problem? I don't see you or Ziva buying him anything!"

Gibbs cleared his throat, causing both Abby and Tony to look his direction. "Enough Tony! Abby volunteered to go on her lunch hour and get some stuff for Tim."

Abby turned her back to Gibbs and stuck her tongue out at Tony. Gibbs sighed, "I can see your reflection in the plasma, Abby. That's enough from both of you! Why is it I have a baby here who behaves more like an adult than you two?"

Abby blushed then slowly turned around, "I'm sorry Gibbs, let me find what I wanted to give Tim, then I'll head back to the lab."

She rummaged through the second bag before she pulled out a brown and black spotted stuffed dog. The dog's muzzle and nose were black along with the inside of its big droopy ears. Its eyes were the icing on the cake as they were big, sweet and innocent. Gibbs laughed as they reminded him a lot of Tim's eyes.

Gibbs kissed the top of Tim's head then whispered in his ear, "Hey Buddy, why don't you open your eyes, Abby has a present for you."

Tim's eyes shot open upon Gibbs request and he waited as Abby withdrew the dog from behind her back and handed it to him.

His face lit up as he grabbed the dog and held it close to his chest, "Doggy!" he squealed. The three adults watched as Tim leaned down and gave the dog a kiss on the top of his head.

"Aww that was sweet Timmy." Gibbs said as he wrapped his arms around Tim's upper body.

Tim looked up at Abby and mumbled shyly, "Tank you Ab, me lube him!"

Abby smiled, "What are you going to name him?"

Tim shrugged his shoulders, looked down at the dog and replied, "Dunno."

"Well that's all right, whenever you find the right name you let us know! I have a bunch of other toys and some teething rings in these bags, but I'll let you sort through it, Gibbs. I have some work to get caught up on. I'll see you later." And with that, she bounced her way to the back elevator, headed for the lab.

Just as Abby was leaving, Vance appeared on the catwalk. "Gibbs, your interro..." he stopped when he noticed McGee was intently listening to what he was about to say. He cleared his throat, "Your interview is scheduled to be here in half an hour."

Gibbs nodded, "Thanks Leon, any way we might be able to use your office for the little guy?"

Vance smirked, "Of course, just let me know what the plan is."

Tim immediately began trembling, he knew Vance was referring to Grey and couldn't hide the fact he was scared to death of that woman.

"It's ok son, Lucy Grey won't even know you're here. Your job will be to play with all these new toys that Abby got for you."

Tim's breathing increased and a single tear slid down his cheek. Gibbs used his thumb to wipe it away and gently wrapped his arms around him. Attempting to distract Tim, he offered, "How about we look through some of them right now!" Tim nodded slowly as Tony got up from his desk and lifted one of the bags onto the desk. They opened the bag, revealing a plethora of toys and teething products. Gibbs grabbed one of the packages of teethers that went in the freezer and tossed them at Ziva.

"Hey Ziver, will you go put these in the freezer so they'll be ready when I take Tim upstairs?"

She opened the package, checked the two teethers for leaks and headed for the break room, "Of course Gibbs, anything for our little Timmy."

Gibbs pulled out another package that had a few pacifiers in it. "I guess Abby saw you sucking your thumb and decided this was a better option." He looked down at Tim who blushed as the older man asked, "You want to try one?" Tim raised one eyebrow and nodded. Gibbs figured Tim would agree and was already opening the package while Tony pulled out a large bag of Mega Blocks. Tim's face lit up when he saw the bag full of blocks he could build stuff with.

Tony sat the bag off to the side of the desk, "Wow Probie, I'm jealous...I used to love these when I was a kid!"

Tim clapped his hands as Gibbs stuck the pacifier in his mouth and he began sucking on it. "Better than your thumb, kiddo?"

Gibbs didn't get a response at first and waited until Tim worked up a rhythm he was comfortable with. After a moment, Tim looked up at Gibbs and nodded. He smirked as he watched his little one contently suck on the pacifier while cuddling with his new dog.

Ziva returned from the break room laughing. "What so funny, Ziva?" Tony asked while he pulled the next toy out of the bag. "Oh nothing, just that a few people were talking about Tim and commented on how cute a baby he is. Plenty of people around here who would babysit, I can imagine."

Tony gave her an exasperated look, "No way! Nobody around here is putting their grubby paws on Tim."

Ziva rolled her eyes then reached over and stroked Tim's cheek, "You think I do not know that, Tony? I would not let anyone touch this little guy either."

Gibbs groaned, "Now children, there's no reason to argue over Tim. Besides, I decide what's best for him!"

"Wow Timmy, Abby picked up some pretty cool toys for you." Tony said pulling out a toy guitar that played music, but also had numbers and different animal sounds that would help improve Tim's speech.

***NCIS***

Although he hated to break up the party, Gibbs knew two agents would be bringing in Lucy Grey soon and he didn't want to take the chance of her seeing Tim. "Alright kids, time to get Tim moved up to Vance's office." Ziva went to her desk and started collecting all the evidence in a file for Gibbs to take into interrogation with him while Tony collected the toys and went to get the teethers out of the freezer. "Gibbs leaned down and whispered in Tim's ear, "Hey buddy, you need a diaper change before I bring you upstairs?" The toddler wasn't even paying attention to Gibbs so he carefully slipped two fingers in the waistband of his pants to check. 'Timmy you're soaked, I need to change you before this interrogation." Gibbs was concerned by the fact that Tim didn't even make a fuss when he checked his diaper in the middle of the bullpen. He stood up, moved Tim to one hip, slung the diaper bag over his shoulder and headed toward the elevator.

Instead of heading all the way down to autopsy, Gibbs decided he would just ask Vance if he could change Tim in his office. Once they reached the top floor, he took a deep breath remembering the possibility of dealing with Vance's secretary again. He stepped inside the office and was pleasantly surprised when the secretary told him to go right in. Vance was just getting off the phone when they stepped in, "You made it up here just in time, that was security, they're bringing up Grey as we speak.

Gibbs nodded, "I need you to do me one more favor, Leon. Could you leave while I get Tim changed?"

Vance smirked, "Of course, I'll give you two some privacy. Who will be watching McGee while you're gone?"

"I was thinking of having Abby come up, the two could play with the new toys she bought him."

Tim's eyes got wide and he started whimpering. Gibbs rubbed soothing circles on his back. "Let me discuss it with Tim and I'll have an answer for you once we're done."

"Very well," Vance nodded and grabbed his phone before exiting.

Tim was trying hard to hold his emotions in, but once the director left he spit his pacifier out on the floor and started sobbing. "No go Gib, pwease!" he sputtered out between sobs while he buried his face against Gibbs' chest. Gibbs sighed, sat down on the couch, pulled Tim close and rested his chin on top of the youngster's head. "Would you feel more comfortable if I left Tony or Ziva up here with you?"

Gibbs felt Tim nod before he spoke, "Me want Toey."

"Alright kiddo, I'll leave Tony up here with you. Not a problem, now let's get you changed so I can get this done and we can go home." He sat Tim on the couch then pulled out the changing mat from the diaper bag. Gibbs laughed, "You think Vance would want to know that I'm using his table to change you? Tim blushed, shook his head and reached his arms out to let the older man grab him. Gibbs took the spare pacifier out of his pocket and stuck it in the little guy's mouth. He brushed Tim's hair off to one side before gently patting his tummy. "All right, let's get you cleaned up my boy."

Tony stepped off the elevator with his hands full. He was surprised to see Vance standing outside the door to his office. "Sir?"

Vance glanced up at him, "Gibbs is taking care of Agent McGee right now."

Tony took a deep breath, "Why, what's wrong with him? He was fine before they came upstairs?"

Vance laughed, "Stand down DiNozzo; he has a dirty diaper, that's all. The two of them are discussing who McGee wants to stay up here with him. Gibbs recommended Ms. Sciuto, but I don't think the lil' guy was too happy with that choice."

Tony laughed and set the bags down on the floor. "She means well, but sometimes she can be too overbearing."

Gibbs finished taping up the diaper, pulled up his pants and looked down at Tim. "Okay that should hold you until we get home. If you need to be changed before, then let Tony know and we'll figure something out." Tim nodded and reached his arms out for Gibbs to pick him up. "Ahh come here, buddy." he said gently, pulling the baby into his arms. "I'm going to call Tony and tell him to get up here while I go deal with Grey. To be honest with you, I think Tony was more excited about the toys Abby got than you were." Tim removed the pacifier from his mouth, threw his arms around Gibbs' neck and squeezed, "No let Gwey get me."

A lump formed in Gibbs' throat as he tried to swallow. "Of course not sweetie, I'll protect you."

Tim whispered into his ear. "Lube you, Gib"

Gibbs kissed Tim's temple, "Love you too, son. Now let's find Tony, shall we?"

The older man opened the door to allow Vance back into his office and was surprised to see DiNozzo waiting outside as well. "Hey Boss I was just dropping off Tim's toys, Ziva escorted our guest down to interrogation."

Gibbs nodded, "Tim wants you to stay with him while I'm downstairs dealing with her. There's another bottle in the diaper bag and some cheese and grapes if he's still hungry. As far as changing he should be okay until I get back, but if something comes up then interrupt me."

Tony snickered, "Breaking your own rule, boss? Listen, we'll be fine. Good luck with Grey...break her."

Gibbs gently stroked Tim's cheek before handing him off to Tony. "They're my rules DiNozzo, I can break them anytime I want. I'll be back in a little bit."

Tim blew Gibbs a kiss as he walked out the door, and then shoved the pacifier back in his mouth.

Once he shut the door, Gibbs felt his adrenaline start to pump, as he was ready to go face to face with the woman who put his youngest in this position in the first place. While he didn't wish Tim's predicament on anyone, he felt truly grateful for the time he was able to spend with this little boy. He ran his fingers through his hair, took a deep breath and headed for interrogation.

Vance sat at his desk reading through a report while the two younger men sat on the floor off to the side. Tony pulled out the bag of Mega Blocks and dumped them on the floor. The clattering of the pieces made Vance look up as he rolled his eyes. "Sorry Director, we'll try and be quiet." He reassured him.

Suddenly the director's phone rang and he got up from his chair. "As much as I would like to stay and build stuff with you two, it looks like I'm needed in MTAC."

Tony breathed a sigh of relief, "Thank you, sir."

Vance smirked, grabbed some paperwork and headed out the door.

***NCIS***

Ziva and Gibbs stood on the other side of the glass, observing Lucy Grey. Gibbs smirked when he saw Ziva had shackled her arms and legs together. Ziva winked, "Did not want to make her too comfortable. Here is the file on what we could dig up on her and Ella." Gibbs took a deep breath, trying to control his pent up frustration and exited the room. Ziva turned her attention back to the glass; I wish I had some popcorn she thought.

Tim sucked contently on his pacifier while they began stacking blocks. The pair had several buildings made before Tim began knocking them over. Tony couldn't help but laugh, as one by one the little guy would push them over, then erupt into a fit of giggles as they crashed to the ground.

Tony wanted to see if Tim could crawl so he would strategically place the blocks further away from the youngster, forcing him to move himself. It took a few tries and a little help from Tony, but soon Tim was a crawling machine. Instead of being interested in the toys, he was happy with his newfound freedom and spent several minutes just exploring the office. Once Tim got bored with crawling, Tony asked, "Hey buddy, you want to try and walk?" The little guy's eyes lit up at the possibility of more freedom so he crawled over to where Tony was sitting. "That's what I like to see, kiddo." He said ruffling Tim's hair. "First I think we need to work on standing and balance." Tony reached out, grabbed McGee's hands and pulled him up into a standing position. Tim wobbled back and forth, side to side, eventually his knees gave out and he landed with a thud in Tony's lap. Tony wiped the sweat off Tim's brow and soothed, "It's okay, don't get discouraged lil' one. It takes practice."

"More, Toey!" Tim grunted as he once again grabbed Tony's hands and pulled himself into a standing position. Tim learned from his last try and bent his knees a bit, attempting to center his body. He smiled when he realized that bending his knees stopped most of his wobbling. Once Tony felt Tim was stable he said, "All right hot shot, I'm going to let go and we'll see how well you do." He let go of Tim's hands and was surprised when the youngster was able to stand on his own for about 10 seconds before falling and landing on his bottom. Tony was surprised at the baby's stamina, as they practiced repeatedly. Finally, after the last time Tim collapsed in Tony's arms and laid his head on the older man's shoulder. He worked to control his breathing as Tony patted his back. "I'm so proud of you, Probie! You made a lot of progress and I can't wait to show Gibbs what you can do!"

Because Tim worked hard, DiNozzo wanted to have a little fun with him. He stretched out of the floor and moved Tim so he was sitting across his chest. Tony bent his knees then picked Tim up and sat him down so each one of his legs were straddled across Tony's knees. He grabbed hold of Tim's hand to balance him while he started moving his legs up and down plus side-to-side. Tim laughed hysterically, especially since he couldn't anticipate which way Tony was going next.

The little guy's laughter was infectious and soon Tony found his sides were aching from all the laughing the two had done. They both needed a break so he lowered his legs to the ground as Tim fell forward onto his chest. They lay on the floor, catching their breath when Tim suddenly lifted his head and rested his chin on Tony's chest. Tony made eye contact with him, realizing he wanted to say something.

"Tank u Toey, much fun!" He squealed in delight. DiNozzo rubbed his hand down Tim's back, "Good I'm glad, me too! Gibbs is going to be so proud when we show him what you can do!"

Tim yawned, "Gib pway?"

Tony laughed, "I would be willing to bet he would do anything you asked him to do, kiddo."