Chapter 23

Over the past few days, this interrogation was all Gibbs could think about when he wasn't busy taking care of Tim. He knew it would be a tremendous feat to get any information out of Lucy, but he was up to the challenge. He gripped the door handle, took a deep breath and violently pushed it open, causing it to slam into the wall. Gibbs smirked as Lucy jumped at the unexpected noise. He slammed the door shut then walked over and sat down at the table.

The shackles on Lucy's wrists clanged together as she rested her forearms on the table. She extended her arms out, "Are these really necessary, Agent Gibbs? Where's my lawyer? You can't question me until he gets here."

Gibbs shrugged his shoulders, "Don't know, I hope NCIS gave him this address and not the one in Norfolk."

Lucy smirked, "Well, it's not like I planned on answering any of your questions anyways."

Gibbs stared at her, attempting to remain calm, but all he wanted to do was lean over the table and smack the smug smile off Lucy's face. He realized he needed to try a new approach so he grabbed the remote for the video monitor and played the tape from the jail.

Lucy watched intently as the video played before turning her attention to Gibbs. She ran her fingers through her hair, "I look much better on video than I thought I would."

Gibbs chuckled, "I'm glad you feel that way because after tomorrow that's the only thing you will have to feel good about."

Grey shook her head, "You're wrong, I'm going to be a well known scientist soon. Even if I have to spend the rest of my life in jail, it will only be a matter of time before the world knows my name."

"How do you figure that?"

"You will just have to wait and see Agent Gibbs."

Realizing answers were going to be few and far between Gibbs decided to start with questions Lucy would more than likely answer.

"Ella said she gave McGee a double dose of your regression drug, how long will he be a baby for?

She grinned and shrugged her shoulders, "The drug was supposed to be permanent, but there were some flaws. I didn't have the opportunity to tweak it before I was caught. There's no telling how long it could take him to become an adult again. Especially if he's regressing on his own."

Gibbs grit his teeth at Lucy's response, but prodded further, "Regressing on his own?"

Lucy clapped her hands together, "Ahh you're noticing changes with Agent McGee's behavior?" She squealed with delight, "My theory was correct!"

Gibbs tried to remain stoic; however, each new answer Lucy gave, made him angrier. He crossed his arms across his chest, squeezing his biceps, determined to remain calm. "What theory is that?"

"The drug can cause the body to become regressed, not necessarily the mind. The rest is up to the baby, the more comfortable they become, the more regressed they'll act."

Gibbs sighed; this can't be good he thought. With no affirmative answer on how long it would take before the drug dissipated from Tim's system he felt his blood pressure rising. It was important Lucy didn't know how worried he was for McGee so he carried on. "Just so you know I've made it my personal mission to see that your bond will be denied tomorrow. This video has been sent to the district attorney, based on your conversation with Ella there is no way a judge would allow you to walk free."

Lucy huffed, "Tell me Agent Gibbs, how do you like being a daddy again? From what I hear, you're very protective of your new charge. Agent McGee was so adorable as an adult; I can only imagine what he looks like as a baby!"

How do I like being a daddy again? Gibbs thought while he took a few deep breaths. There was no way that Grey would have known he lost Kelly and Shannon unless... then it dawned on him, the personal files she hacked into had his life story.

Gibbs shrugged his shoulders, "The personal files you hacked into, there's a reason why you chose me and Agent McGee...why?"

She scoffed, "Why would I ever tell you that?" Then laughed cynically, "You see, even if I don't get released tomorrow, my sister is still out there. Good luck finding her, Ella is waiting for the perfect time to snatch your precious baby."

Gibbs slammed his fist on the table and stood up. He leaned over, inches from her face, "Threatening my people is never a good idea! We will find your sister and when we do, I'll make sure neither of you see the light of day ever again!"

"Even if I stay in jail, Ella plans on sending plenty of pictures of our new baby. Hey, if you're lucky I might even have her make you a copy. How does that sound?"

Taking Lucy by surprise, Gibbs pulled her up from the chair, dragged her over to the wall and forcefully pinned her up against it. She whined as the shackles dug into her wrists and ankles. "I'm going to ask you one more time. Where is your sister?

"Okay okay I'll tell you please let go of me." Gibbs loosened his grip and waited for Lucy to speak.

"Well?" Gibbs screamed.

Lucy began laughing hysterically, "I...I...can't believe you thought I would sell out my own sister! This baby has made you soft Agent Gibbs, I suggest you do your job and find Ella on your own."

Gibbs had heard enough; he haphazardly guided Lucy back to the chair forcing her to sit down. "We're done; enjoy your life in prison!" As he walked to the door, he took one last look over his shoulder. As he opened it, Lucy called out, "Ella will make your little boy scream, Agent Gibbs. Too bad you won't be there to protect him!"

Aware that Grey wanted a reaction from him, Gibbs simply replied, "A few agents will be in to escort you back to jail."

As he shut the door, Gibbs ran his fingers through his hair, wiping the excess sweat on his jeans. He took a deep breath and exhaled as he heard the door to observation open. He looked up to see Ziva standing there with a concerned look on her face. She walked over to him, "Are you alright, Gibbs?" He slowly nodded and walked away. Ziva was worried; throughout the entire time she had been on Gibbs' team, she had rarely witnessed Gibbs being physically violent with a suspect in interrogation. She motioned for the two agents who were standing at the end of the hall to transfer Lucy back to jail and then made her way back to the bullpen.

***NCIS***

Tony lifted Tim off his chest and sat him on the floor. He sat up, used his shirtsleeve to wipe the sweat off his brow and asked, "What do you want to do next, Timmy?"

Tim pointed to his mouth, "Hurt, Toey." Tony looked at his watch; because he wasn't sure what time Gibbs had given Tim his last dose of Tylenol, he figured it would be better to be safe rather than sorry. He leaned over and rubbed Tim's back, "Aww I'm sorry kiddo, I wish I could take away the pain, but do you want to try one of the teething rings that Abby got you?" Tim clenched his face in pain before slowly nodding.

Tony stood up and walked over to the table. He gasped when he noticed the teethers had begun to thaw, leaving a film of moisture beneath them. Oh God! Vance is going to kill me Tony thought as he lifted each one off the table, praying they hadn't left a stain. Relieved to find there wasn't one, Tony ran his hand over his face and went back to Tim. He looked down at the youngster who was in the middle of a giant yawn, "Hey, you want to sit on the couch and cuddle?"

Tim grabbed his new dog, disregarded earlier, and reached out for Tony. "Looks like all the playing we did wore you out, huh?" Tony commented as he crouched down and collected the little one in his arms. "Uh hum." Tim mumbled, laying his head down on Tony's shoulder. Tony walked over to the couch, sat down and then pulled Tim away from his shoulder. He gave the youngster a choice, "You want to rest against my chest or would you rather lie down?"

Tim's eyes slowly began to close as he fought to stay awake. He rubbed his eyes and looked up at Tony before muttering "zeepy." Tony smiled and scooted closer to the end of the couch. If Tim was going to fall asleep, he wanted a steady place to rest his arm while he held him. Once Tony was situated, he leaned back and shifted Tim so he was lying with his head in the crook of the senior field agent's arm. Tony used his other hand to pull the baby's body as close to his as possible. He looked down at Tim, "Comfortable enough, kiddo?"

After a slight nod from the little guy, Tony asked, "I know you're sleepy, but do you want to try the teething ring to see if you get some relief?" Tim opened his mouth as Tony placed the chilled object inside. The youngster squirmed as the cold soothed the painful throbbing that had been plaguing him since the night before, but soon relaxed as Tony let go of the teether. "That a boy! I can already see the relief on your face, does it feel good?"

Tim closed his eyes and continued chewing as a small pool of drool formed near the corner of his mouth. Tony smirked as he used his thumb to wipe up a majority of it then swiped it across his pants. He kept a comforting hand on Tim's forehead, every now and again gently brushing his hair off to the side. It didn't take long for Tim to conk out and Tony removed the teething ring and placed it over to the side. He watched the lil' fella's chest rise and fall with each breath, while he snored softly. Hating to be left out of the loop, Tony pulled out his phone and began texting Ziva for answers regarding the interrogation.

***NCIS***

Ducky and Palmer were reviewing an autopsy from another case when they heard the familiar whoosh of the doors sliding open. They both looked over their shoulder to see a very disgruntled Gibbs standing behind them. Ducky could tell by the look on his face something was wrong. In fact, during the course of their friendship, Ducky had never seen the team leader this upset. Palmer took one look at Gibbs and began to excuse himself, "Uh I'm just...just going to see if Abby has any results for us yet" he stuttered. Gibbs who was pacing back and forth turned toward Jimmy, "Stand down, Palmer...Duck, would you let me buy you a cup of tea?"

Noticing the desperation in his friend's eyes, the older man nodded, "I suppose we can finish this when I get back, Mr. Palmer." Jimmy smiled, "I'll put him back in the freezer until you return, Dr. Mallard." Ducky grabbed his coat and hat and followed Gibbs out the door. As they waited for the elevator, Ducky turned to Gibbs, "I hope your coffee shop has the proper brewing equipment, in my opinion tea bags do not cut it."

As the elevator opened and both men stepped in Gibbs chuckled, "Don't worry, Duck I'm sure they'll have something you like."

The walk down the street to the coffee shop was quiet. Ducky knew Gibbs was a man of few words; however, the younger man seemed to be particularly upset. After Gibbs paid for the beverages, they found an empty table in the corner of the cozy shop.

Ducky took a sip of tea, while studying the expression on Gibbs' face. "Do you wish to tell me what's wrong, Jethro?"

Gibbs sighed, "Just got finished interrogating Lucy Grey. Let me say, it didn't go as I planned."

The older man nodded, "I see, well why don't you start by telling me what's bothering you."

"That obvious, Duck?"

Ducky chuckled, "Jethro, I've known you for a long time; I know when something is wrong."

Gibbs took a sip of his coffee and ran his fingers through his hair, "My first concern is Tim; I've noticed he's regressing more and more."

"What do you mean?"

"Tim's emotions are more pronounced; he's had a few tantrums or for example he let me check his diaper in the middle of the bullpen this afternoon. That was something he wouldn't have let me do a few days ago. Grey said the drug would only regress him so much, if Tim continues to regress it's because he feels comfortable enough to allow it."

Ducky nodded, "I know you hate to hear it, Jethro, but young Timothy will probably remain like that until he's an adult again. Even then it's going to be a difficult road for him."

Gibbs pinched the bridge of his nose, "I had a feeling you would say that."

"Jethro, I don't really see a problem with it. Like I said, once he's an adult again it might take some time, but eventually Timothy will be back to normal."

The younger man sat quietly; no doubt digesting the information he was just told.

Ducky reached over and patted Gibbs' arm. "What else is wrong my friend?"

"The Grey's are psychopaths, they won't stop until Tim is in their possession. Some of the things Lucy said today gave me shivers. I'm afraid we won't find Ella before something terrible happens and I can't protect my boy!"

Ducky tutted, "Jethro, these two sisters are in your head, exactly where they want to be!"

Gibbs' shoulders slumped, "But, what if they're right, Duck? We don't know what they have planned."

"I don't believe I've ever witnessed you doubting yourself. Suck it up, Jethro! That baby needs YOU more than anyone else; you plan on letting him down?"

Gibbs gave the older man a stare usually reserved for suspects.

"Now there's a start. Listen, Jethro...your entire team needs their fearless leader right now. I know young Timothy wouldn't want anyone else in the world protecting him. Whether it is as a baby or an adult. Do what you do best and in the end it will all work out."

Gibbs slowly nodded, "Thanks Duck, I needed to hear that. Now let's go, I want to see my boy."

The two men grabbed their drinks and started the short walk back to NCIS.

***NCIS***

Tony and Ziva had been texting back and forth since the interrogation ended. She was able to get Tony up to speed so he would avoid his usual "foot in mouth" when Gibbs came to get Tim. They were both concerned for their boss, but knew he usually worked out whatever was bothering him on his own. Proof of that was the boat and bottle of bourbon that had taken up permanent residence in his basement. Between texting with Tony, Ziva had been in contact with the owner of the hunting store. Just as she hung up the phone, Gibbs walked through and stopped at his desk. She carefully studied his face, checking for any obvious signs of unhappiness. He caught her off guard as he looked up from the report he was reading and made eye contact. "Something I can help you with, Ziva?"

"Ahh well yes, I just got off the phone with the owner of the hunting store. He does not remember a woman coming into buy anything over the past few days. Perhaps if we show him the receipt he may remember something about the transaction."

Gibbs gave a slight nod and walked around to stand in front of her desk, "Good work, take DiNozzo with you. Are they still in Vance's office?"

"Yes, Tony said Timmy was just waking up from a batnap..."

Gibbs laughed, "Catnap...Ziva...catnap..."

Ziva rolled her eyes, "Whatever!"

"Come on, let's go find the boys."

Tony felt Tim begin to stir in his lap. He watched the little guy slowly open his eyes, as they eventually adjusted to the light. Tim let out a small groan as he stretched his little arms above his head. Tony reached down and rubbed his tummy. "Did you have a nice nap, kiddo?" Tim giggled "Umm hmm." Tony lifted him up into his lap and ran his fingers though Tim's hair attempting to smooth out his bedhead. There were still a few strands of hair sticking up so Tony licked his fingers and just as he was going to use them to smooth Tim's hair down he caught himself. He looked at his hand in disgust, Oh my God, I'm turning into my father Tony thought. The pair looked up as there was a soft knock on the door before Gibbs and Ziva entered the office.

"Gib!" Timmy screamed from across the room. It was that moment, Gibbs knew Ducky was right, Tim needed him to be on his game. The youngster already had his arms extended as Gibbs stopped in front of the couch. He lifted Tim into his arms and held him close. "I missed you, sweetie." Tim laid his head on Gibbs' shoulder, "Mizz you too Gib."

Tony and Ziva smiled as they watched the tender moment unfold. "Tim and I had fun today, he worked really hard and has some new skills to show you."

"Really?" Gibbs asked rubbing his hand up and down Tim's back.

Tim mumbled, "Umm hum. We pway?"

"Sure kiddo, we can play when we get home."

The youngster squealed and clapped his hands. Tony laughed, "Uhh boss...Tim will probably want to play like we did earlier."

Gibbs raised his eyebrows, "Oh yeah, what does that involve?"

Tony smiled, "You'll see...I'm sure he will show you."

Tim suddenly jabbed Gibbs in the arm with his fingers and whined, "Ba ba Gib!"

"Alright sweetie we're going to head home, I'll get you something there, okay?"

Tears welled up in Tim's eyes, "No! No! Now pwease!"

"Okay, I'll get you a bottle before we leave. You haven't eaten a lot today. Be patient while I give these two directions, alright?"

Tim nodded, began sucking his thumb and returned his head to Gibbs' shoulder.

"DiNozzo, I need you to go visit the hunting store with Ziva. It's possible the Grey's have help. Tony nodded, "Sure thing boss, we'll be at you house again tonight for protection detail."

Between the three adults, they had all the toys picked up and cleared out of Vance's office in no time. The men headed to the bullpen, while Ziva went to warm up Tim's bottle. Gibbs had just finished bundling up the youngster when Ziva walked back in with the bottle. "Since I'm ready to head home, I'm going to feed you on the way out to the car Timmy." The little one didn't mind and sucked vigorously when the nipple of the bottle made contact with his lips. "That's my boy." Gibbs soothed as he headed to the car with Tony and Ziva close behind.