Chapter 5

"WHAT?"

The frustration in Jane's brown eyes dissipates as she takes in what Anna said. Anna grimaces and lets her eyes wander back to the rain that is still falling everywhere except for on them. Jane follows her gaze, her mouth hanging open, while she sticks out a hand to feel for water.

Nothing.

"That's weird," Darcy says, waiting for some kind of explanation from Jane.

Jane gasps, ignoring Darcy completely, as her eyes lock on a figure in the distance. Clothed in his Asgardian armor with Mjolnir in hand, Thor stands in the distance watching them. She shoves the device she's holding into Darcy's hands, and Anna turns to follow her eyes. Her heart leaps in her throat when she locks on Thor, watching as her friend approaches the god of thunder.

The circle without rain, however, follows Jane, and soon Anna and Darcy are drenched in the downpour.

"Typical," Darcy mumbles in shock, wrapping her arms around herself.

Anna rolls her eyes at her, moving toward Thor as well. She hasn't seen him since she woke up in the Tower in New York, and there's been no word from Asgard about anything. His presence here now sends a chill up her spine, and she prays that it has nothing to do with Loki.

"Jane," Thor rumbles, a warm smile growing on his face.

She slaps him, earning a confused look from Thor. Anna smirks, glancing at Darcy, and wraps her arms around herself to stay warm in the freezing rain. She's just out of earshot, trying to give her friend privacy as she reunites with Thor.

"Sorry," she says. "I just needed to make sure you were real. It's been a very strange day."

Thor nods, "I am. Jane, I--"

Another slap lands on his cheek, and Jane's eyebrows furrow together in anger.

"Where were you?" She demands.

"Where were you?" Thor counters. "Heimdall could not see you."

Jane clenches her fists tightly, "I was right here where you left me. I was waiting and then I was crying and then I went out looking for you. You said you were coming back!"

"I know," Thor admits. "After the Bifrost was destroyed, the Nine Realms erupted into chaos. Wars were raging, marauders were pillaging. I had to put an end to the slaughter."

The astrophysicist hesitates, "As excuses go, it's not...terrible. But I saw you on TV! You were - you were in New York! After we were kidnapped, I didn't get to see you for even a minute. Not even when you brought Anna back from Asgard!"

"Jane, I fought to protect you from the dangers of my world," Thor explains, shaking his head. "But...I was wrong. I was a fool. I believe that fate brought us together."

He lifts his hand to caress her hair, pulling her a step closer to him, "Jane, I don't know where you were or what happened, but I do know this."

"What?" Jane asks softly.

"I know..." Thor begins.

Jane smiles, "You do?"

"Do what?" He replies, leaning in closer.

"What?" Jane asks.

They lean in closer, but Darcy's shout interrupts their moment. Anna turns to look back at them, having become extremely interested in the pavement beneath her feet while Thor went in for the kiss.

"Hey!" Darcy runs over, using her jacket to shield herself from the rain. "Is this you?"

Thor glances up at the sky, and the rain stops immediately. Anna smiles, pushing a strand of wet hair out of her eyes, and walks toward her friends. Darcy drops her jacket as she approaches.

"Uh...we're kinda in the middle of something here," Jane chides her, giving her 'the look'.

"Um, I'm pretty sure we are getting arrested," Darcy informs her.

Jane lifts a finger to Thor, "Hold that thought."

"Look at you!" Darcy pokes at Thor's armored chest. "Still all muscle-y and everything. How's space?"

"Space is fine," Thor replies politely before turning to Anna. He inhales sharply before speaking, "Hello."

She smiles weakly, "Do I even need to ask?"

Her heartbeat slams into her chest like a jackhammer, rattling her bones more than the chill that seeps through her soaking wet clothes. Thor gives her a knowing and sad smile. Of course, she's asking about Loki. It's been a month since he tried to steal the Tesseract to save her, since Odin threw him back into the dungeons, since Thor returned with Anna - when she was on the brink of death - to Earth.

"Loki is well," Thor tells her. "My mother visits him regularly. She tells me that he grows restless, and he is more resentful of our father than even before. She says Loki..."

He stops, glancing at the ground between them before looking back at her, his blue eyes filled with sorrow for his brother.

"He misses you."

Now Playing: "Photograph" by Ed Sheeran.

*****
AUTHOR'S NOTE

1. The Ides of July broke the top 100 in Fanfiction this weekend, hitting #87! That's thanks to YOU GUYS!

2. All Hail The King is officially planned from start to finish, and it includes a lot more than the storyline from Thor: The Dark World. (I maybe even know what's going to happen in Book 3!!!!) Are you excited?

3. Someone saw my YouTube channel (jandralee! Subscribe!) and suggested I do readings from the books. Would you guys be interested in that? Let me know if you have any other ideas for videos. I'd be glad to hear 'em!

As always, please vote + leave me a comment to say hello on this fine Monday!

x