Chapter 23

"LOOK, why don't you let me take over," Loki says urgently, grimacing as Thor narrowly avoids yet another collision. He glances back at Anna who is supporting Jane, carefully watching to make sure her friend doesn't pass out once more, then turns back to Thor. "I'm clearly the better pilot."

"Is that right?" Thor asks wryly. "Out of the two of us, which one can actually fly?"

They dodge another building, and Asgardian anti-aircraft guns begin firing at them while Thor does his best to avoid any hits. He chuckles to himself, straightening the aircraft once more, and smiles. Anna smiles at Jane, whose face has gone pale, then wrinkles her brow in concern as the brunette astrophysicist begins to wobble.

"Loki?" She calls out, barely catching Jane before she collapses - unconscious - to the floor of the ship.

Both Loki and Thor turn, and the fallen prince frowns, "Oh dear. Is she dead?"

"Jane," Thor calls out, resisting the urge to release the controls and rush to her side.

Anna feels for a pulse, glaring at Loki for his eternal sarcasm, then sighs in relief as Jane begins to stir in her arms. Her friend lifts a hand to wave off concern.

"I'm okay," she mutters weakly.

The ship takes a hit and they all stumble forward, and Thor scrambles to right the ship. He executes a diversive maneuver, spinning wildly, and smashes into an gunner's outpost with a wince.

"Not a word," he warns Loki.

"Now they're following us," Loki replies, falling forward as the ship continues to take fire.

He regains his balance, steadying himself as best he can, and moves to one of the other control panels to look for weapons. Thor, however, seems unconcerned.

"Now they're firing at us!"

His voice is filled with nervous tension as he looks to Thor for the next step, his thoughts on Anna and her safety.

"Yes, thank you for the commentary, Loki," Thor bellows. "It's not at all distracting."

They whirl through the skies, Asgardian pilots close on their tail, as Thor struggles to maintain control of the ship. The razor-like ship smashes into a massive statue, it's tail cutting through the stone as if it were butter, and the statue crumbles.

"Well done," Loki says sarcastically. "You just decapitated your grandfather."

Finally they shoot out over the water next to the Bifrost, twirling deftly through the air to avoid oncoming fire. The ship takes another hit, jolting it's occupants, and Thor grimaces.

Loki rolls his eyes, rapidly losing his temper as he paces behind Thor, "You know, this is wonderful. This is a tremendous idea. Let's steal the biggest, most obvious ship in the universe and escape in that! Flying around the city, smashing into everything in sight so everyone can see us. It's brilliant, Thor. It's truly brilliant!"

Thor glances forward briefly, tapping on one of the controls, before releasing his grip on the steering and pushing Loki brusquely with a grunt. The wall of the ship slides open behind him, and Loki falls out of the ship with a cry of alarm. Anna cries out in horror as the man she loves plummets downward, disappearing from sight, before whirling back to face Thor.

"What the hell was that?!"

Now Playing: "Ready to Fall" by Rise Against.

*****
AUTHOR'S NOTE

Double update, anyone? 

Don't forget to comment + vote! Let's celebrate #TheIdesOfJuly (and maybe we can get The Ides Of July to break the Top 10 in Fanfiction! Give Loki the recognition he deserves! Feel free to go back and re-read! *wink*)

x