Chapter 19

"THIS IS SO UNLIKE YOU, brother," Loki says as he walks beside Thor through the corridors of the palace.

His disheveled appearance was remedied the moment he stepped from his cell, his magic no longer inhibited, and he is once again clad in his full Asgardian leathers. A smile crosses his face and his green eyes sparkle at the prospect of mischief.

"So clandestine," he continues, keeping up the quick pace. "Are you sure you wouldn't rather just punch your way out?"

"If you keep speaking, I just might," Thor grumbles.

Loki smirks, "Fine. As you wish. I'm not even here."

Green light envelops his body, and his appearance is replaced with that of one of the palace guards. Clad in heavy gold armor, a helmet on his head, he smiles at Thor whilst gripping the spear in his hand.

"Is this better?" Loki asks him, motioning to his illusion.

Thor lifts an eyebrow, "It's better company, at least."

Loki nods, "Still, we could be less conspicuous."

The green light glows once more, this time covering both Loki and Thor. Returned to his own appearance, Loki looks over at Thor whose appearance he's conjured to take the form of Lady Sif.

"Mmm, brother," Loki purrs. "You look ravishing."

Thor glances down at his body and rolls his eyes, clenching his fists to prevent from throwing one of them into Loki's face. He's accustomed to his brother's tricks, always looking for a laugh, but now is not the time.

"It will hurt no less when I kill you in this form," Thor's voice sounds deep and ridiculous coming from Lady Sif's mouth, and Loki's smile widens.

"Very well," Loki acquiesces. "Perhaps you'd prefer one of your new companions given that you seem to like them so much."

Another burst of green light glows around them, and Thor is relieved to see that he is himself again. Loki, however, is clad in a tight blue suit with a round shield attached to his forearm, and his appearance is that of Steve Rogers in his Captain America uniform.

"Oh, this is much better," Loki says, disguising his voice as Steve's. 

"Costume's a bit much

"Costume's a bit much...so tight,"  he continues, grinning widely as he looks down at the red and white stripes along with the star on his chest. "The confidence. I can feel the righteousness surging."

Loki pivots in front of Thor, holding the shield in front of him as he walks backward, "Hey, wanna have a rousing discussion about truth

Loki pivots in front of Thor, holding the shield in front of him as he walks backward, "Hey, wanna have a rousing discussion about truth...honor...patriotism? God bless Ameri--"

patriotism? God bless Ameri--"

The wind escapes his lungs as his back thuds against the wall and the illusion slips away

The wind escapes his lungs as his back thuds against the wall and the illusion slips away. Thor's hand covers his mouth, and the blonde Asgardian holds him firmly until he can wrestle his mouth free from his brother's grasp.

"What?" Loki demands.

Thor releases him, turning his head to the right, and Loki follows his gaze

Thor releases him, turning his head to the right, and Loki follows his gaze. Two palace guards are passing through the corridor, their backs turned to the two brothers, and Loki turns to face his brother. He's a mite impressed. Perhaps Thor is no longer the boundless lout he was in their youth. His brother is risking quite a lot in freeing Loki from the dungeons, but - then again - Loki is more likely to lose his head should their father discover them.

"You could at least furnish me with a weapon," he urges Thor. "My dagger...something."

Nodding, a small smile grows on his face as he encourages Thor to agree with his request. After all, should they enter a scuffle with the palace guards, it would be in Thor's best interest if Loki could defend himself. Whether or not that is the sole purpose for wishing for a weapon is none of Thor's concern.

The clank of metal from Thor's belt causes Loki's smile to widen, and his eyes glitter in the lamp light at the prospect.

"At last," he gives Thor a toothy grin. "A little common sense."

A click sounds, and Loki turns his attention down to his hands which are now bound once more in cuffs. He lifts his wrists as the metal falls into place, locking firmly around his hands, and he can already feel the bounds restricting his magic. The smile disappears from his face as he glares at Thor. No, this is definitely not what he had in mind.

Thor grins back at him, "I thought you liked tricks."

Now Playing: "Little Illusion Machine (Wirral Riddler)" by Arctic Monkeys.