Chapter 13

ANNA RUNS TO FOLLOW LADY SIF out of the dungeons, refusing to look back at Loki's cell as they climb the stairs. The palace has erupted into chaos - guards are running toward the madness, while civilians and servants seek shelter. Gunfire can be heard outside, and Anna can see a glimpse of the gunners shooting down razor-like ships flying toward the palace.

One smashes into a pillar in front of them, and she grabs Sif's arm to pull her back just in time for it to crash to the ground.

"Thank you," Sif mutters, her eyes wide as she turns back to Anna.

"Anytime," she replies as they skirt the rubble and begin to run again. "Mind telling me where we're running to?"

Sif rams her shoulder into an oncoming attacker, knocking him off-balance so she can use her momentum to spin around and strike him with her sword. One of the razor-like ships zooms into the palace over their heads, guns blazing, and they duck to avoid the rubble from the impending crash. The Asgardian warrior beckons Anna to follow her, weaving through back passages until they round a corner and skid to a stop in front of Odin.

"My King," Lady Sif says, crossing her fist to her shoulder with a brief bow.

Anna stares at the Allfather in shock for a brief moment before dipping her head out of respect. He narrows his eye at her, no doubt taking in her Asgardian apparel. For a second, Anna flushes red at the thought that Odin probably knows where she disappeared to. More than that - he probably assumes she intentionally ran off to see him. She wants more from this man. More than being the silly human who blundered her way into Asgard. More than being the fool he believes her to be for falling in love with Loki. Above all, she wants him to show his fallen son more.

"Follow me," Odin commands firmly.

Sif bows, falling in step with the guards accompanying the Allfather, while Anna follows a few steps behind. She is unarmed and unaware of the enemy attacking Asgard, and - even with her advanced combat training - she is nowhere near as skilled as an Asgardian warrior. Especially clad in this ridiculous dress, she is more than happy to allow them to take the front lines.

They arrive in the throne room only to witness death and destruction. A large ship is crashed in the middle of the massive chamber, and a single invader stands in the middle of the room. With a flash, Odin uses his sceptre to strike the creature down as the group enters the room where many Asgardian warriors are scattered amongst the rubble. All of them are dead.

Anna stifles a gasp at the sight. In her limited knowledge of the Nine Realms, she has experienced nothing like the strength and skill of an Asgardian. Thor, Lady Sif and the Warriors Three, even Loki - she'd seen them in combat and knew what they were capable of doing. Anything with the potential for this much carnage must be beyond even Asgard's strength. The thought frightens her, and she keeps a wary eye on her surroundings while Odin surveys the damage.

Suddenly, the king freezes mid-step and turns.

"Frigga," he whispers.

*****
Frigga

The heavy doors to her chambers open slowly, and Jane scrambles to her feet in front of Frigga. Meeting her eyes for a moment, Jane pushes herself against the wall in the corner as the queen steps forward to circle the table toward the intruder. She wields a single sword in her right hand, the blade flipped up so it runs along her forearm. Even in her blue gown, the armored breastplate and matching vambraces make it obvious that she is indeed a true warrior of Asgard.

"Stand down, creature," she warns. "You may still survive this."

The creature continues to advance with a smirk, "I have survived worse, woman."