Chapter 22

ANNA PULLS AWAY from Loki's embrace, her pulse racing as she gasps for air. Leaning her forehead against his chest, she can feel the chill radiating from the skin of his neck. His body is firm and muscular against hers, his strength evident beneath the thick layers of Asgardian armor, and she inhales deeply. A hint of spice muddled with the scent of fresh snow is so subtle that it tingles her senses and causes her mouth to twist into a contented smile.

He presses his lips against her hair and allows them to linger for a moment, savoring the warmth of her small body in his arms, before straightening.

"We should go," he says softly, one of his hands caressing the small of Anna's back. "Thor awaits."

Anna groans into his chest before tipping her head up to face him. A shy smile stretches across her face, and Loki cannot help but notice how radiant the brunette is at this moment. It's as if she is exuding light from within her very being, and he is beyond grateful to bask in her glory. He smiles back at her, green eyes sparkling with delight, and he presses another kiss to her lips.

The kiss is gentle and brief, and it contains none of the urgency of their earlier kisses. Once they break apart, Anna smiles again - this time without reservation - and Loki lifts his arms to release her from the cage they form around her.

"We should do this again sometime," she teases Loki, taking a moment to adjust her appearance before they rejoin the others.

He smirks and lifts his shackled hands, "Without these perhaps?"

"Oh, I don't know," Anna gives him a sly wink before turning and calling over his shoulder. "I could think of a few good uses for them."

Loki's green eyes darken at the thought, burning with passion, and he takes a moment to compose himself before following after her. His long legs allow him to catch up with her quickly, matching his pace with hers, and they soon rejoin Thor and Jane. His brother gives him a questioning look, but Loki ignores it completely. Needless to say, Thor does little to hide his smile.

Rounding the corner, they enter the room where one of the Dark Elves' ships crashed, pillars demolished and rubble still scattered across the floor, and Volstagg stands awaiting them.

"I will give you as much time as I can," the red-headed Asgardian warrior tells them, earning a grateful nod from Thor.

"Thank you, my friend," the god of thunder says, clasping his friend's arm.

Volstagg gives a merry smile to Jane and Anna as they walk past, both of whom smile back at him, but he reaches out to halt Loki. Pushing back the fallen prince, Volstagg turns to give him a warning look.

"If you even think about betraying him," he warns, his voice low.

"You'll...kill me?" Loki asks sarcastically. "Evidently there will be a line."

He pushes past Volstagg and heads toward the ship, where Anna is waiting for him, and they board while Volstagg twirls his sizeable axe and prepares himself for the inevitable guards. Sif is talented, but without seeking to deal lethal blows to the guards, it would be nearly impossible to hold them off forever. He is the next line of defense.

Inside the ship, Thor begins pressing buttons on the foreign control panels. The ship whirs momentarily before returning to dormancy while Jane, Loki, and Anna join him inside. He presses another button, causing another sound, to no avail.

 He presses another button, causing another sound, to no avail