Chapter Seven

Paradise Senior High School

"Again, Annalise, I'm so - " 

Marina sighed, turning to raise an eyebrow at the blond who kept stuttering over her many apologies about Mark's actions. "Sarah, look, I know you are. You've said so about a hundred times already." 

Sarah stopped mid sentence and blushed sheepishly. "Sorry." She winced. "There's number a hundred and one." 

Marina snickered as she and Sarah sat down under a tree to study. "I'm glad we have the same study hall." 

Sarah grinned. "Me, too. Don't John and Sam have the same one, too?" 

Marina nodded. "They should be here in a few minutes." 

Sarah pulled her precalculus book from her bag and opened it to a place she had marked. "I still can't believe you somehow squeezed your way into Spanish III, and you're only a freshman." 

Marina shrugged as she flipped though her chemistry textbook. "My guardian, Gibbs, and I lived for a year in Spain. I had to learn pretty quickly. I just need a recap." 

Sarah looked up at her, smiling. She looked over Marina's shoulder, then shook her head, grinning. "OPD paying a visit. Probably some dumb inspection." 

Marina twisted, seeing the four officers in uniform. "Do they have those often?" 

Sarah snorted, smirking. "At least three a semester." 

Marina whistled. "That's a lot." 

Sarah nodded, then pointed towards the school. "There they are." 

Marina turned, waving to the boys. John nudged Sam, pointed them out, then they both started heading their way. 

Sarah sighed. "Annalise, how long have you been in Paradise?" 

"When Gibbs went to Afghanistan, I relocated here in the summer," Marina replied, easily slipping into the lie. "I came back to school when I f - " She stopped in the middle, frowning. Something in her back of her head was going off. She unconsciously reached for her bag, pulling it closer and reaching for the zippers that would reveal her two guns. "Does something feel wrong to you or is it just me?" 

Sarah cocked her head. "No, why?" 

Marina was about to reply when she heard something that made her voice run cold. "MARINA!" 

John. 

On pure instinct, she tackled Sarah, pulling her down and diving on top of her. She heard a sharp bang, then felt the bullet that had been aimed straight for her fly close by her. 

Screams rippled across the yard as teenagers scattered. Marina jumped up, crouching in a defensive position, scrambling to open her bag and grab her guns. As she did she looked up and saw who her attackers were. 

The whole group of police officers had their guns drawn. 

And they were aimed straight at her. 

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" she sputtered, grabbing one gun and jamming it into the waistband of her jeans without anyone seeing. She hoped. "What in the hell is that for?" 

"Annalise Ramaya, is that right?" the leader of the force asked, and Marina's eyes widened as she recognized who it was. "You're sure?" 

Jacob Piercefield. "Shit," she whispered under her breath. 

Thankfully, someone saved her from answering. "You're saying she's a liar?" John shouted, coming to Marina's side. As he did, he seemed to purposely trip. As he did, he landed over her backpack.