Chapter Nine

John woke up the next morning to Bernie Kosar barking downstairs. He sat up, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. Next to him, Marina started to wake up as well. 

He grinned. There was one of the Garde right next to him. She definitely knew how to stay hidden. She had proven that when even Henri hadn't given any clue to who he was. 

He pulled on a T-shirt and jeans, then walked downstairs. Immediately, Bernie Kosar ran over and started wagging his tail. "Hey there, buddy," John laughed, petting his head and scratching his dog's ears. "How's it going?" 

"John Smith?" 

John straightened, hearing an unfamiliar voice. A police officer stood in the kitchen talking to Henri. Neither of them looked very happy. "No, that's the dog," John joked lightly, then nodded. "Yeah, that's me." 

"Rumor has it that at the fall carnival the other night, you were at the scene of when three men disappeared without a trace." 

John raised an eyebrow, then heard creaking on the stairs. Marina walked down, dressed in black jeans, a purple blouse, and a black jacket that had the NCIS logo on it, then stopped short when she saw the police officer. "Sheriff James?" 

"You're Mark's dad?" John asked right after she said that. 

Sheriff James frowned. "You're that girl that barged right into the fight on the school yard the other day, aren't you?" 

Marina lifted the right side of her jacket up, revealing the NCIS badge that she now wore with ease. "Special Agent Nightshade." 

Sheriff James waved his hand absently. "This matter doesn't concern you." 

"Really?" Marina asked, standing by John and folding her arms. "John's a friend, and I was there last night as well. I can say fully that we were with two others and had nothing to do with those men." 

"I didn't say anything about men while you were down here," Sheriff James countered. 

"I've been trained to hear everything," Marina retorted. "And I was at the top of the staircase when you said it." 

"Then who were you with?" 

John knew this one. "Sam Goode and Sarah Hart," he replied instantly. 

"So, great and all of that," Henri suddenly announced, putting on a forced smile and leading the sheriff out. "Just let us know if you need anything else." 

Marina had her cell phone out and was looking through something as she walked over to the coffee pot. John remained standing, but he also paid attention to Bernie Kosar. Henri came back, looking at both John and Marina. "I hope you weren't lying about Sam and Sarah." 

"I wasn't," Marina replied, taking a sip of coffee. "We were with them the entire time. When we heard what was going on, we bolted." 

Henri nodded. "Good." 

John started looking at his phone, too. He saw that there were furious texts from Sarah, asking why they had run off and if they were all right. However, there was one that made him freeze. 

"I saw what u and Marina did 2 them. Meet me @ my house 2day in the afternoon." 

He checked who it came from, and he pinched the bridge of his nose. Marina's eyes lifted from her phone, and she flashed the screen at him. It was the same message. "Sam," they said at the same time. 

"What?" Henri asked, frowning. 

"Needs help with homework and apparently asked for a study time at his house," Marina replied, scratching her head. "Sarah's going, too."