Epilogue

After the evening mass in the abbey, there were only two women left. One was a teenager, about seventeen. The other was a middle-aged woman. 

The woman was looking on one of the computers. "There have been rumors going around recently," she was muttering. "We need to be careful." 

The teenager snorted. "Haven't we been doing that recently?" 

The woman shook her head. "These are desperate times. We have to - " 

She cut off. The teenager, caught up, looked up as well. "What's wrong?" 

The woman only pointed to her screen. Frowning, the teen began to read.

"One would expect that after spring break, things would be picking up for exams. At Paradise High School, exams might not even happen. 

Seventeen-year-old John Smith was confirmed to be one of the terrorists that struck the school yesterday evening, taking out the football field and the tunnel leading to it. He was not working alone."

***

Marina leaned her head back against the headrest, thinking over what had happened the last few days. 

She had John, which made her extremely happy. But that wasn't all. Sam was coming, too. And Bernie Kosar. 

She smiled at the beagle sitting next to her. "We're gonna see Lorien again," she whispered to him, smiling. "You ready to?" 

Bernie Kosar looked up and gave a small woof. From the front seat, Gibbs threw a grin back at them. "From what I've heard, it's beautiful." 

"I hope so," Marina agreed. "I just can't believe now it's almost g - " 

A sniper shot sounded at that moment. It flew through their windshield, going out the back end. Marina screamed, dropping down to the floor of the car. 

A few minutes later, she heard McGee's terrified cry. "Kate!"

***

Sophomore Sam Goode and Smith's dog, Bernie Kosar, were there when the terrorists struck. "Something's always been wrong with Goode," sophomore quarterback Mark James says. "Apparently joining forces with a terrorist is what it was." 

Today, neither Smith nor Goode were seen at school. Their friend, Sarah Hart, confirmed that they had left, but hadn't mentioned why. Police officers say she's telling the truth. 

But that is not the only news that has Paradise questioning the accuracy of the federal forces.

***

John heard the sniper shot. He heard glass breaking. He reached over, grabbing Sam, pulling them both down as the bullet flew right past his head. 

The car skidded to a halt, and John looked up. He did a quick check: Sam was still alive, shaken but unharmed. McGee in the driver's seat, his face covered in blood, but no scratch on him. 

His blood ran cold. But then that meant . . . 

McGee's startled cry finished his thought. "Kate!" 

John fumbled with the door before finally giving up. He punched through the glass, ignoring his blood spilling from the cuts he'd gotten. He climbed out as McGee finally unlocked the doors. He threw open the passenger's side door, and his eyes widened. 

Kate was slumped in the car, her head thrown back, eyes staring into nothing. Directly through her head was the shot from the bullet. It was her blood that had hit McGee.