Get Ready

Author's Note: Please vote and comment :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

         The air was heavy when Brodhi woke up, and he felt like he was suffocating. A bright light shone down on top of him and his eyes burned. He squinted his eyes and slowly let them open, as the brightness of the light seemed to ease. He made out three long strips of light stuck to the ceiling.

A pain was in his neck and ran all the way down his back. He shifted his weight to roll onto his side. A gasp escaped his lips, as his body wouldn't budge. His arms were stuck out a way from him, and when he tried to turn his head his neck screamed out in pain. It wouldn't move either. He frantically tried to move his eyes from side to side to see what was going on. It felt like he was paralysed and he panicked that that was true.

Slowly, he curled his fingers into his hand and back out. Relief washed over him. He wasn't paralysed like he thought. As he tried to turn his wrist he felt something tightly wrapped around his arms. He tried moving the rest of his body and discovered that he was completely tied down. He tried thrashing his body around to loosen up the bands. It had no effect and caused his arms and legs to ache more. He cursed out loud.

"Take it easy there, Buddy," he heard a voice come from his left. He tried to turn his head quickly, but it just caused another pain to explode in his neck. He didn't know anyone else was in the room with him.

"Where am I?" his hoarse voice managed to croak out. A strip of burn burned down his throat and he bit down on his lip.

"In the hospital," the male voice told him.

Brodhi let his mind race back to what had happened. He remembered Cendrowski in the Market talking about research, and then him and Lynn going to the hospital.

Lynn!

He couldn't believe that he forgot about her. She's probably tied down to a table somewhere, just like him. Cendrowski told them that she was about to give birth any day. What if she already had? What if they had their baby tied down somewhere too? He can't believe that he let this happen.

"How long have I been here?" Brodhi asked the voice.

"No clue," he said. "Haven't been awake much longer than you."

"Are you tied up too?"

"Yeah."

They stayed silent and Brodhi still struggled under the restraints. He gritted his teeth together to stop himself from screaming out in pain as it burned into his flesh. The sweat built up on his forehead and he was struggling to breathe in the hot, thick air.

"What's your name?" the man asked him after a while.

"It's Brodhi. Yours?" he said.

"Sawyer."

A noise came from the other side of the room and Brodhi's instinct was to turn his head to see what it was. Pain shot through his neck as he tried to twist it around. Sawyer moaned in pain as he tried to do the same thing.

"Good morning boys," Kirby's said as he approached them. His shoes clicked across the ground as he walked in between them. Brodhi and Sawyer were each tied down onto a metal table a meter apart.

Kirby came into view, blocking the bright light out of Brodhi's eyes. His heart jumped in his chest when he first saw him. Kirby had a large white suit on that made him look much bigger than he was. A large plastic dome covers his head and a small wire was hooked around his ear.