Chapter One - Distractions in the kitchen

KEEPING UP WITH CADE

They hooked up a lot. It was nothing else even if she wanted it to be - which she didn't. It was convenient because he lived with her best friend - and it was good. What more could she want?

...

Chapter One - Distractions in the kitchen

'Blair? Can you get me a drink too please?'

She heard Hailey call out but barely registered the words as Cade had her pinned against the kitchen counter. She turned her head to follow his muscular arm from behind her shoulder, up to his stony face. He wasn't smiling at her - nothing new, but he didn't have to because he had a sexy serious face on that made Blair's knees go weak.

All he had to do was catch her eye briefly across the room for her to blush, or raise an eyebrow at her for her heart to start that thumping thing it did whenever he was around.

'You knew I had a huge assignment to do tonight, why are you here?' He demanded, his tone was serious and he was clearly annoyed with her.

Blair opened her mouth to speak but nothing came out. She tried again but he was so close she felt his minty breath on her face she found it hard to concentrate on anything.

'I... uh, I'm watching a movie with Hailey. I was going to stay out of your way...' She protested weakly as his face moved closer to hers, stopping a millimetre away.

'Not good enough,' he replied simply, crashing his mouth onto hers. The kiss was rough and desperate, he'd been wanting to do it ever since he heard her silky laughter downstairs from his room. Now he had her in front of him, doing that trembling thing she did so well making him want to carry her upstairs immediately.

'Blair? Hurry up, what the hell is taking so long?' Hailey called out again from the living room merely a few meters away.

He felt her push him away. He rolled his eyes at her attempt as she was so damn weak it was ridiculous, but he stepped back anyway not wanting Hailey to find them.

'Are you staying over?' He asked bluntly watching her get two glasses of juice from the fridge.

She looked over her shoulder at him leaning against the counter, his arms folded over his bare chest practically drawing attention to his muscular arms and toned body. 'Of course,' she shrugged trying to play it cool even though she knew she was bright red at the thought of them together again that night.

'I'll see you later then.'

'You have an assignment to do,' she pointed out.

'By the time Hailey goes to sleep I'll have it done... besides,' he paused raking over her body with his eyes. 'You've got me all worked up now.'

Blair blushed madly and made a beeline out of the kitchen and into the living room where her best friend was shaking her head at her.

'What the hell? That's the last time I ask you to get me a drink. My grandma would have done that faster, and she's dead!' Hailey was incredulous.

Blair burst out laughing, breaking free from the zombie-like hold Cade had over her when they were alone.

...

Two Months earlier . . .

Blair Anstey had been best friends' with Hailey for longer than she could remember. Hailey's parents were like her own, feeding her, housing her, they bought two of everything without even thinking. When Hailey's Dad came home from business trips with a snow globe of the latest city he'd been in, he always has an extra one for Blair. When Hailey's Mum cooked dinner each night she never asked Blair to stay, she just assumed she was. It wasn't like Blair's parents were bad or anything. They just worked a lot, leaving money for Blair to buy dinner and lunch each day.