61. So Ease It Off

I fist my hand in the fabric of my kimono as I wait for Asuma to arrive. It's just before 6, the time training usually starts, and I barely slept the night before.

"Well, this is unexpected." He drawls when he catches sight of me.

"I can't train today." I cut straight to the point, fist tightening until I'm sure the fabric is badly creased.

"Huh?" He blinks, cigarette dangling uselessly from his lips.

"Kasumi asked me to meet her-" I take a deep breath before speaking, but in the end I can't even get my whole argument out before Asuma interrupts me.

"Then you'd better get going." He says simply, shrugging.

"... What?" That was way too easy.

"I'm not going to be the one to piss of Kasumi. If she wants you for something, I'm not going to stop you." He explains. Wow, Kasumi must be even more intimidating than I thought.

"Right, uh, thanks? I'll be able to start again tomorrow, I think." I say haltingly as I inch towards the door. Asuma blows out another breath of smoke, and I can't resist shouting from the doorway;

"If you keep smoking, Kurenai's not going to want to kiss you!" And he chokes on smoke. I'm running down the street before he can reply.

I slow to a walk once I reach the main road, looking around at the shops and buildings I'd never really taken the time to examine before. There's restaurants and clothes shops and inns and even a couple of weapons shops. The deadly displays look out of place amongst the bright colours and smiling faces on the main road, but I suppose, since this is a shinobi village, it isn't really unusual.

The bathhouse is just off the main road, near the academy and the Hokage's office. To get there I pass the Ichiraku ramen hut. Naruto and I still haven't got round to paying that tab... As I walk past, I see Ayame opening up the front.

"You're opening early." I stop just outside, fingers tucked in my sash.

"Yeah, you'd be surprised how many people eat ramen for breakfast!" Ayame laughs.

"Well, it's definitely one way to start the day. Think I could pay my tab now?"

"Don't worry about it, there's no rush. If you're up this early, you must be going somewhere, right? Here." She pours a little miso soup into a takeaway cup and hands it to me.

"Oh wow, thank you!" I grin, taking a small sip and sighing happily.

"Good?" Ayame raises her eyebrows, lips quirked in a small smile. She knows it's good.

"You guys make the best miso." I tell her anyway, taking another sip.

"I'll put it on your tab. Be sure to come by later!"

"I will! Bye!" I continue down the path with my hands wrapped tight around the cup. As warm as Konoha usually is, the mornings are pretty chilly, and the sun's still rising in the sky. Steam rises up from the soup and warms my face, and I can't help but smile. As awful as last night was, this day's gotten off to a good start.