Chapter 6

"Hey guys. Sorry I'm late. Ezra called."
Aria says with a cynical expression and a sigh. We had been sitting in the brew for about 10 minutes, barely exchanging glances and sitting a safe distance away from each other in case anyone we know walked in. I don't know why we were instantly trying to hide it, but it just didn't feel natural yet.
"Wait, where's Hanna?"
Ali wasn't meant to be meeting up with us as she went away for a few days with her dad, but Hanna was meant to.
"I'll call her." I say.
Aria slumps down tiredly on a chair and starts chatting to Emily. Just as I'm about to tap the call icon next to the name 'Hanna Marin', I hear the front door of the brew slam shut. I look up to see combat boots, ripped tights, an acid wash denim skirt and layered khaki and black fabric underneath a leather jacket covered with chunky zips. The blonde and black bird's nest tosses itself up to reveal a pale, makeup free face with dark circles underneath her piercing blue eyes. As she trudges over to us, she notices us staring.
"What? Look, you can quit shaking your head at me, Pam. Didn't you hear? Ali's coming back to school tomorrow."
Hanna mutters as she collapses into an armchair.
"Hanna! Don't call her that." I sit up in anger, but Emily gives me a glance -telling me to be more subtle.
"Didn't you guys get a call from her? She's coming home early from her trip with her dad." Aria says.
I exchange a look with Emily.
"Uh, no. Spencer and I.. We were.. working on a project last night."
"So much that you didn't check your phones? Why don't you look as bad as me then?" Hanna looks at both of us as if she isn't buying any of it, then gives up and puts her head in her hands.
"Yeah, what project even was that? We haven't had any homework at all recently." Now Aria's suspicious. This is not going well.
I look to Emily to see if she's come up with a convincing answer, and she has the exact guilty expression I probably do.
The silence is so empty that I can hear the cogs whirring in Hanna's brain.
"Wait...did you two...??"