Chapter 10

-DISCLAIMER-
There is some mild swearing in this chapter - apologies for any inconvenience, but I hope you enjoy!
After waiting for a few minutes, I hear boots striding down the hall. In glided Ali, her sandy curls bouncing off bare shoulders.
"Em! Hey," she exclaims warmly, a radiant smile spreading across her pearly teeth. They embrace, Ali squeezing Em tightly.
"Hello Spencer."she makes eye contact with me over Em's shoulder, looking down as she says my name.
"Uh...we came to ask you about..." I trail off, dreading the rest of the sentence. Emily finishes for me, "About what you said to Spence. Last night."
"Right," responds Ali with a sigh, "what else did you want to know?" She looks at me defensively, her smile long gone.
I take a deep breath, trying to tame the red monster roaring in my chest.
"Was it true? All of it?"
"You lifting up a shovel as if about to hit me with it? Yeah."
A lump forms in my throat and my heart beats heavily underneath my shirt.
"Were you on drugs? Yes. Alcohol at the same time? Yes." She's speaking quieter now and I'm not sure what to think. It's silent, except for my heart, now pounding through every part of my body.
"Did you hurt me?" She says finally, a little louder, her eyes on the floor, "No."
I exhale deeply and look around in relief as the room starts to spin. I feel a hand, Em's hand, squeezing my arm, then my hand. I gain my composure and look back at Ali to see a strange expression on her face - she's still looking down, but this time, not at the floor, slightly above.

Crap.
She's looking at us holding hands.

...