Chapter 8

"No, please don't do this, no NOOOO!"
"Spencer? Are you alright?" Mr Fitz looks at me anxiously.

"What? Oh, yeah, um yes, sorry..." I trail off, embarrassed and bury my face in my reading book.
I spend the last 30 minutes of my day trying to listen to Mr Fitz, but my thoughts are constantly interrupted by the same screaming, over and over. My head pounds. The bell rings and I snap out of my daymare once more, clumsily collecting my books and shoving them into my satchel. I hurry down the corridor, looking for the one person I know can help.
"Spence? Where are you going in such a rush?"
I breathe a sigh of relief and my eyes well up with tears and I turn around. Emily takes one look at my face and puts her hand on my upper arm, guiding me out of the student-filled corridor, down the steps and to my car. I try to calm myself down so I can drive without being deafened by the screaming again, but it's too difficult. Yet again, a lump forms in my throat and I look down at  my lap, embarrassed.
"Do you want me to drive?" She says it in such a soft tone it takes all I have not to burst into tears. I nod silently, and we swap seats. We sit in silence for a minute or so, until she says,
"Look, I'm sorry I stormed off at lunch. It's just... it's weird. I've know you for years and never felt this way about a best friend. I'm really sorry, Spence. Please, please don't cry..."
"No, no it's not that." Now I can't stop the tears streaming down my face.
"I just...I can't stop hearing her voice, her scream....it's so loud..."
"What, Ali?....oh, you still think she really was telling the truth?"
I shrug, still avoiding eye contact.
"Well, why don't we go and ask her?"