Ch. 24 - Movie Nights With Myrtle

Two days. My mom has been staying in the guest house for two days now, and we haven't talked since our fight the night before. I don't know if she's jealous of the Kennedy's or what, but I don't need to be distracted by this petty argument. Instead, I need to focus on the important things in life...like teaching Ethan how to ride a bike and helping Jonas practice for his soccer tryouts and driving Addison to the mall whenever she wants.

"You have to pedal, just like you did on your old bike, bud," I say, pointing to the Mickey Mouse tricycle thrown in the grass.

Ethan looks down at his new red bike and then back to the tricycle. Confidently, he walks over and picks up the tricycle from the grass, hops on, and starts pedaling down the street.

I sigh. He's been doing this for the past hour.

"Stay on the sidewalk!" I advise, sitting down in the grass and taking out my phone to scroll through social media.

Flynn honks his car horn as he pulls into the driveway, giving me a heart attack. I stand up from the grass and walk towards him.

"Hey, Ivy," he greets, closing the car door. "What's up?"

"Nothing. I'm just trying to teach Ethan how to ride his bike."

"How's that going?"

"How do you think it's going?" I ask, placing my hands on my hips and sighing. "If you're looking for Elliott, he's out with Val."

"Actually, I was looking for you. I bought Elliott these tickets." He holds out to thin sheets of paper. "They're for an REO Speedwagon concert tonight."

I nod. "Aw, that'll be so fun for you two."

"Well, the thing is...I don't want to go."

"What? Flynn, why would you buy the tickets if you didn't even want to go?"

He sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose. "It's not like any of us expected Giano Bertolini's family to move to California!"

"What does Giano Bertolini have to do with any of this?"

"You know I love Mrs. Bertolini's pizza, right? Well, they're moving next week, so Giano is having this huge going away party tonight. I just...I can't miss out on the last chance for me to have this pizza for a concert that only people over forty-seven will be going to."

I raise my eyebrows. "So basically you won't go to see your best friend's favorite band just so you can eat some lady's pizza?"

"Pretty much."

I laugh, shaking my head. "Okay, so, where do I come in in all of this?"

"You take Elliott to the concert with you," he says. "It'll be like your first date."

I snort. Little does Flynn know that that would actually be more like our tenth date. "I mean, if I can convince him to actually go with me."

"Please." Flynn rolls his eyes. "Elliott would go with Jake Acker if that meant he got to see REO."

I laugh and nod. "Well, I feel bad just taking these tickets. How much do I owe you?"

"Ivy, you don't even have enough money to pay for pizza," Flynn jokes and hands me the tickets. "It's my treat."

"Thanks, Flynn," I say with a small smile.