Ch. 28 - Target Model

"I love you."

"I love you more."

"No, I love you more!"

"Shut up. I said it first."

"You're such a bitch, Angelina."

The slap Jase receives from Angelina echoes in the dark of the night.

"God, you're so hot when you're mad."

When they start making out, I spin around at the picnic table to face Elliott and Yogi. The two are talking about jockstraps. I decide it's better to watch the toxically-in-love Jangelina instead.

"I love you so much."

"I love you so much more!"

I sigh, noting how easily they can say "I love you" to one another. I wanted to tell Elliott earlier today, but I freaked out and complimented his shirt that isn't even cute! I mean, saying that to him is going to change everything. I've never told anyone I've loved them before.

It's huge deal to me. I have to be absolutely sure of it. The urge to tell him should just be in the spur of the moment, easily rolling off my tongue.

"Hey, thanks for avoiding all my calls!"

I turn my head to the right, surprised to see Flynn standing near the picnic table. "Hi! I'm so sorry. This week has been super hectic." I stand up and give him a hug. "What are you doing here?"

"Elliott asked me to come," he says. "Apparently he has some big news. I'm just hoping he didn't go and get a girl pregnant." He nudges me as he wiggles his eyebrows. "So, how have you been?"

I shrug. "Half the time I feel like I'm being impaled by a fork and the other half I feel like a person who waited three hours in line for a ride but the amusement parks shuts down before you can go on."

He lifts his eyebrows and sits next to me. "Jesus, Ivy, the Kennedy's are really treating you that bad?"

"Well, two days ago Ethan actually did impale me with his fork, but that's not the point." I take a deep breath. "I'm going through some personal business on the side."

He nods. "So, as a concerned boyfriend and not a prying jerk, can I just ask, how is Nora involved in all of this?"

"She's not," I lie.

"Ivy, she loves hanging out with you. For the past three days she has changed the subject from your name to some chicken recipe her brother is working on quicker than you can say 'hey, Flynn, I just want to let you know that I trust and respect you enough to be honest and truthful to you about everything.'"

"That's not that quick," I say slowly.

"Not the point. I know something happened and I need to know what."

"First of all, Flynn, you don't need to know, and just for the sake of ending this conversation, I think Nora should tell you."

"She told me that you should be the one to tell me!" He shakes his head. "Women are so damn confusing."

I smile softly. "I'll talk to Nora soon, and then we can talk to you."

"You're finally going to talk to Nora?" Elliott asks, jumping in on the conversation.

"Yeah." After my talk with Mrs. West, I knew that Nora and Jett were my family, and with them I can find a home. "I think I should."