Ch. 38 - The Next Bachelorette

"Jett, what the hell did you do to my room?"

Jett peeps his head around my doorframe, a sheepish smile on his face. "Hey, you're back!"

"Yeah." I drop my suitcase on the wooden floor and place my hands on my hips. "Where's all my stuff?"

"Look," he pauses, "Jonas, Elliott, and I have been working on a movie for the past three months. Your room was the perfect space to do our filming. I promise I'll have everything back in place by summer."

"Well, where am I supposed to sleep for the next week?" I ask and look around at the bare floors and two tripods set up in the center of the floor. "On the comfy stack of green screen bed sheets?"

Jett smiles and points to me. "You, my friend, get to sleep in the best place in this entire house." He pauses for unnecessary dramatic effect. "My top bunk!"

I frown. "Are you being serious?"

"Come on, Ivy," he pleads. "If you complain, Uncle Val and Aunt Lucy will make us put everything back, and we'll probably never finish our movie. And if we do, I won't thank you when we win our Oscar."

I roll my eyes and pick up my suitcase. "Fine. But I get the bottom bunk."

He opens his mouth to object, but knows better than to test me after he de-roomed my room. I go into Jett's room to put my suitcase on the bed before heading back downstairs. With Elm at my heels, I sit down in front of the TV to relax.

This is how I want to spend my spring break.

"Nora leaves for Mexico tonight," Jett says as he joins me in the family room. "Then it'll just be me and you, baby boo."

I laugh. "Right. Are all of your friends going on vacation?"

"Pretty much. The Kennedy's are going to Haiti to join their mom's missionary work for the week. It'd be so sick to go."

"Yeah, definitely."

"But you know what's even better?" He waits, staring at me for a few seconds. "Getting to spend a whole week with my half-sister."

I pout my lip and lunge forward to grab him in a tight hug. "Aw, J!" I kiss the top of his head before letting him go. "We'll have so much more fun than anyone else going to some warm, nice place."

He smiles. "Whatever keeps the tears from falling at night."

Nora gets home from school exactly one Keeping Up with the Kardashians episode later. Jett and I help her pack, because of course she didn't pack in advance. Her flight leaves at eight tonight, so she has to be dropped off at the airport a little after 6.

"I hate that I'm leaving tonight. We didn't get anytime to catch up. So much has happened!" Nora exasperates, plopping down on her bed. "Have I even told you about all the Elliott drama?"

"Nope. And I don't think I care too much to hear it. It's best I stay far away from that boy and anything that has to do with him," I sigh.

It's a lot easier to forget how much you care about someone when they're no longer in your life. We haven't seen each other in three months, not since he dropped me off at my dorm that night. Keeping our distance was easy to do thanks to the forty-eight hour car drive between us. Of course I've been social media stalking; that's a given. Elliott sucks at social media, however, so I didn't really get too much information from him.