Dueling pt.2

Recap: Kirito was in a duel against a a young man named Cody. In an intense fight, Cody seems to have the upper hand. Kirito feels weak and fears that he can't win the battle. Not without Asuna. He realizes that he's still hurt by her leaving and now feels hopeless... But maybe there is a little hope somewhere lingering somewhere in the crowd...

My eyes shut. I'm in a hole and I can't get out. I'm trapped, with nobody here to help me out. There's just no way. I'm done.

I feel the blade of the sword cut deep into my back. It's not painful, but I still cringe a little. The crowd is either cheering for Cody or screaming at me to get up.

'Why should I get up?' I ask myself. I grip the ground with frustration.

Suddenly, as if to answer my question, a male's voice rings through my ears. 'Why not?' I flinch. It was startling, yet at the same time, that voice was so familiar.

'I can't beat him. There's no nothing for me to fight for anymore... I'm alone.' I answer.

The voice sounds annoyed with me. 'Damn it Kirito, what are you talking about? You, you alone, have the will power to get up. You've done it before!'

'It was different before.'

'Nothing is different. Nothing has changed.'

'But...Asuna?' I question sadly.

'She is gone, but you still have people behind you. Are you forget why you came back?'

I tighten my eyes shut a little more as memories flood to my head.

A girl with blue hair trying to fight off a creature. But she's scared. So I jump in and slice it with my blade. She stared at me with fear, but I turn my head a little towards her and smirk. Her eyes seem to lighten up as I run off and kill a different monster.

'You were alone when met her' the voice said. 'She was defenseless, so you alone saved her.'

That's when I realized that memory was from the first time I had met Sachi. When I saved the Black Cats if the Full Moon. Then another memory plays in my head.

Several different memories, from the time I met Keiln in the Town of Begins to saving a little girl and her dragon to free-falling from the sky with a shop owner.

This time, I'm in a large room that smelled musty. There was a 4-foot sword in chest, and my HP is dropping rapidly. In the corner of my eyes, a red light flashes YOUR DEAD.

But somehow, the man in front of me has a sword sliced in his chest. He looked shocked, stumping backwards. By the time the game said I won, I was completely dead: a ghost.

"That was when.." I say out loud under my breath.

'Yes Kirito, that was when you fought me! Kayaba, creator of this game, lost to a mere beater like yourself.' I knew his voice was familiar. 'But it wasn't just skill that got you that far.'

I was confused.

'..Sheer will-power,' he continued. 'Most would have given up. But you Kirito, you were too determined to quit. Everybody else would have. Somehow you pushed the limits. Somehow you defeated me. And now, you will somehow beat Cody too. Without Asuna. Now get up and fight!'

Like a wave of electricity, I jolt my head up. It was clear now. I could beat Cody. He would regret talking badly about Sachi. I can do this.

By myself.

Cody rips the sword out and steps triumphantly on my back. He rubs his large foot into my back as if I were a small bug and laughs harshly. It sounded like the bastard was enjoying every minute of this.