Truce

Cody fell to his hands and knees while I slide my sword back in its place. Crossing my arms, I narrow my eyes.

"Are you done fighting?" I ask. "Or do you want to get your ass kicked again?"

As much as I didn't want to fight with him, I decided I had had enough of this bull shit.

Cody was staring at the ground, panting. I guess the realization of him losing must have finally sunk in.

"You... Actually beat me.. " He buried his face in one of his hands and slammed the other on the ground, groaning. "I can't believe it.. I-" He clenched his fists as his face tightened.

I stared at him with my mouth hung open. It was like watching somebody lose someone important to them. I almost wanted to pithy him.

Closing my mouth and staring at the ground, I walked slowly towards him. Sounds of my footsteps and metal clothing echo through the stadium. I cautiously kneel down to his level.

"Hey," he scowled at the sound of my voice, "C'mon, get up."

Shock showed very clearly on his face. He raises his head to see my hand by his face, offering to help him to his feet.

"Well?"

He blinked twice. Then, with a sigh, he grabs my hand, allowing me to help him up.

I smile a little. "Ok, let's go."

Cody tilted his head from confusion. "What?"

"C'mon, I'll buy you some lunch. It's almost noon," I motion towards the exit and head towards it. "Are ya coming?"

"Hmph.. fine.." He follows behind me, keeping a distance.

Slowly, we both head into town.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The waitress sets two hamburgers in front us. I felt drool form in my mouth as the aroma of meat, tomatoes, and grease hit my nose.

I was staring at it in awe as I lifted up in front of me, admiring its beauty.

"Are you planning on eating that?" Cody cocked his eyebrow in confusion.

"Hmm?" I snapped out of my trace and focused on him. "Oh.. yeah." I quickly wiped some drool from my face.

Cody scowls a little and rolls his eyes. It wasn't my fault I was hungry.

"Anyways.." I change the subject, lowering the sandwich to my mouth to take a bite.

Cody stopped scowling and glanced up at me, taking a bite from his sandwich.

"Anyways," He stated, waiting for me to continue.

I set my food down and look him in the eyes. "So, I guess you're a solo player, huh?"

He seemed taken off guard by the question, but nodded.

"Yeah... I don't really fight well with other people," He replied honestly.

"Oh yeah?" I asked.

'That would explains why he doesn't socialize with others much.'

He nodded. "Yep."

A silence fell between us. Looking down at my food, I took another bite of my sandwich. I wasn't sure what else to say.

"...And you?" I glanced at him again.

"What about me?" I ask.

"Why aren't you playing in a guild? Or maybe you're just trying to win all that money by yourself so you don't have to share. Is that right, rich boy?" His tone was cocky, but he wasn't showing any anger towards me.

I could feel my face crinkle in annoyance, a scowl showing on my face as he started taking a long drink of water.

"Believe it or not, I'm not rich.. Well off, but not rich. I'm alone for another reason."

Cody stopped drinking his water and looked at me, lowering his glass.

"I don't go in other guilds because.." I stare at the table, "..because I don't like the weight you have to carry with it.."

"The weight, eh?" He replied nonchalantly. Cody's facial expression flashed a little bit more interest in where the conversation was heading.

I nodded. "I can't handle that weight. Not anymore."

He looked at my strangely. He didn't a clue what I was talking about. And I didn't feel like explain it to him either.

"No what, just forget about it," I sighed. I popped the last of my sandwich into my mouth and got up, leaving a tip on the table. "Well.. Later I guess.."

"Yeah.." He nodded. "Um, thanks for lunch."

"No problem," I say with a tired smile on my face.

"And," He looked at the ground, "And sorry about earlier. I shouldn't have overreacted like that."

"Water under the bridge." I hold my hand out. Hesitant, Cody brought his hand to mine and shook it.

I turned towards the door again.

"Hey, Kirito?" I look over my shoulder. "Maybe sometime.. you and me could.. [insert whatever it was called]. Help me with my form a bit?"

My eyes widen. I was shocked. Cody, being as proud as he was, wanting my help..? But I quickly respond with a nod.

"Sure." I said. He gave a half smile and nod.

"Cool. Later then."

We both went out the door and head out separate ways. Feeling pretty decent, I stride towards the tree of the White Lilies, whistling.

Heading through the plaza, which was already full of people, I continued striding towards the end of town.

Since the streets were full, I decided to take a shortcut and get away from the crowd by taking the back roads of the town. The buildings in the back were mostly empty; everything here looked old and appeared to be falling apart. I walked down a narrow road.

Out of the corner of my eyes, I barely even noticed the dark figure behind me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello~

First off, thank you so much to those of you who are reading this! I appreciate it! Please, if you have any suggestions to how I could improve this, don't be shy. leave a comment if message me^^

I'm sorry once again for not updating in a while, I've been having writers block. You know how it is.

But either way, thank you all so much. You don't even know.

Stay Wild, children.

Next Chapter: Alliance

~wildone010~