Chapter 17-The Dance of the Elven People

Three years passed and Catalina became more familiar with her abilities. She worked to fly better, and had even found that her wings were handy in battle because of their sharp edges. But not a soul knew of her abilities, save for Legolas, and herself. And Catalina intended to keep it that way.

She had not yet found out where she had obtained the wings, and had begun reading several books on Asgardian history and had tried to recall everything she had learned back home. She read constantly, looking everywhere for her ability. All Asgardian books listed special abilities that were found in royals, but hers was nowhere to be found. So she kept reading.

"Catalina," Legolas poked his head around her door.

"What?"

"Come with me." Legolas beckoned her to him. He led her down the hall and to the double doors of the elven ballroom.

"What are we doing?" Asked Catalina, unsure of the reason for the ballroom.

"I'm going to teach you to dance." He opened the door and led her in.

"I know how to dance," Catalina frowned. There was no orchestra, and no other elves to dance with.

"Maybe so, but you know not the way my people know."

"You dance with no music?"

"We learn with no music. You become advanced when you have music."

Catalina frowned again and looked at Legolas standing in front of her.
He reached out a hand and bowed.

"Will you give me the honor?" He asked.

"Yes Prince I shall," Catalina smiled and gave him her hand and let him lead her.

His steps started out slow, then he began to go faster, and faster, until Catalina was nearly being dragged around the ballroom.

"This is not dancing, this is sprinting!"

"Dancing is like fighting Princess, once you get the swing of it, it is simple. Follow me," Legolas looked down toward their feet, and Catalina did the same. She watched his footsteps and began falling into step with him.

"Now look up at me. Count the steps."
Catalina did this, and finally found herself following him in sync. She smiled and he smiled back, and they danced.

Catalina hadn't noticed, but the orchestra had entered, and began to play, and Legolas led her in the way of the music, until Catalina herself began to feel it, and she danced with him according to her own rule.

"Is this how Asgardians dance?"

"No, this is how I dance," replied Catalina.

Legolas smiled, and they laughed and danced until the music ended.

"How do Asgardians dance?" Legolas asked.

"Slowly; we do waltzes. I find it quite boring."

"That's quite contrary to how you describe Asgard."

"I know, and the way you dance is quite contrary to the way I would describe your people. I suppose both of our cultures have alter egos." They laughed until their sides hurt, not understanding why it was so funny, but they laughed anyway.
When they had caught their breath, Legolas looked over at Catalina.

"Catalina?"

"What?"

"How do you view me? What am I to you?"

Catalina peered over at him, "you're my brother." She said.

Legolas smiled and nodded.

"What about me?"