Chapter 18-The Last Year

Year ten came quickly, and Catalina had not been prepared. Things began to happen quickly, and it was all too much to process. Legolas had confessed his love to Tauriel, yet she had declined him, falling for one of the dwarves of Durin by the name of Kili. Since then Legolas had been in an unending spiral of prejudice for the dwarves, trying harder to win Tauriel over, with no time for Catalina anymore.

Catalina though, had let him go, understanding his dilemma and stayed quite content without him, although somewhat lonely, but having the company of Feren to comfort her. She had later found herself in the awkward company of the king once again, and had received yet another unexpected kiss, in which she once again saw the image of the king change, but then turn back to normal.

It was all very confusing, and as the minutes of the year ticked by, Catalina continued to submerge herself in her reading, still trying to find who in the nine realms she was. But still, as she reached the end of the elven library, she had found nothing.

One particular spring morning after breakfast, Catalina had gone off to the library to read the last book she knew had information on Asgardian legends. She flipped through the old worn pages, scanning the subtitles and the pictures.

As she neared the conclusion of the book, a picture caught her eye. She flipped back to it and observed it. It showed the picture of a man with big white moth-like wings. The words on the page after it explained he was a symbol of evil, and the white wings deceived ones in to thinking he was good. It said nothing else about the winged evil, yet Catalina was suspicious.

She began flipping through the book again. It was near the middle when she spotted her scythe, explained as the possession of a creature that was illusive, and that had never been seen. The scythes cut through anything, even the hammer of Thor, but would never cut its owner. That was all that was known about it and its owner.

Catalina leaned back in the large armchair and sighed. So much for finding out about herself.
And there was also the matter of snow. She hadn't touched it since the first year, but she still longed to touch it again, maybe play in it as the young elflings did. If only she knew what she was....

"My lady?" Feren stepped inside the library wearing his armor.

"Where did you come from?" The princess asked, acknowledging the armor.

"Nowhere my lady," the commander sat down in the seat next to her. "What are you reading?"

"Asgardian lore," she replied nonchalantly.

"Oh," Feren watched her flip through another book. "The king wanted me to find you, he said you weren't present for tea."

"I completely forgot," Catalina smiled, shrugging.

"He wants you to come out to the garden."

Catalina looked up at Feren, his brown eyes looking at her intensely. She got up and set her book back in its shelf. She had a feeling she knew what the meeting with the king would be about: some irrelevant subject that would apply to nothing in her life, he would kiss her again, his younger form would flash in front of her eyes, and she would be totally confused all over again.

"Thank you for letting me know," Catalina hopped off of the ladder and headed for the door.

"Any time my lady," Feren replied.

"It's Catalina," the princess corrected and gave him a friendly hug.

"Yes princess," Feren covered his mouth.

"Catalina. Say it."

"Catalina."

"There you go," the princess hugged him again and slid out the door.