Part 2- Chapter 23-The 'Little Pair'

As the months passed, Catalina began to fall back into the routine of being the princess of Asgard. She went on patrols, she commanded a portion of the army, and she attended balls and ceremonies, the way she was supposed to. But one summer evening after dinner Catalina had found nothing of importance to do. So she went back to her room.
She shut the door behind her, and looked about her, wondering if Loki had hidden inside her room, as was customary for him to do. But he was nowhere to be seen, so Catalina sighed and locked the door. She went to the large trunk that occupied the foot of her bed and opened it.
It held trinkets and keepsakes from the Woodland Realm: a dagger, bracers, earrings, a dress, hair ribbons and clips, and a violin. Catalina pulled out the violin, and closed her eyes as she ran the bow across the strings. She played one of the first songs Anameleth had taught her, the slowest song.
As she ended the song, an emptiness crept into her, and she set the violin down.
"What is that? It sounded pretty," Loki poked his head around the door.
"How did you get in? The door was locked."
Loki smirked and shrugged. He came in and shut the door behind him.
"You know how. Anyway, what is that?"
"A violin, I learned to play it in Midgard."
"Show me, I only heard a little." Loki sat down on her bed and watched his sister lift the violin to her chin. She played one of the faster songs, one of the ones she and Legolas danced to.
Loki couldn't help but laugh and dance along as Catalina spun in circles as her fingers flew along the neck of the violin. Catalina smiled at her brother, his black hair falling into his eyes as she ended the song and he took a bow.
"You miss it don't you?" He asked.
Catalina nodded.
"Yes, but I don't think I could stay there forever. I would never see you again." She sat down on her bed and placed the violin back in the trunk.
"I was hoping you would say that. Come now, I must show you something. I made it for you."
Loki led her off past the gardens and outside the capital borders. They walked to a patch of woods outside one of the villages. There, Loki showed Catalina a swing made with rope and a wooden plank tied to a large old tree.
Catalina gasped and ran to it; it reminded her of the place she used to go to in Mirkwood.
"It's perfect Loki," she gave him a hug and kissed his cheek.
"Sit down, I'll push you," Loki smiled and gently pushed his sister on the swing.
Catalina smiled and closed her eyes as the breeze ran through her hair and past her face. She remembered scenes like this when she was younger. She and Loki were inseparable, and being the second pair of children of the royal family, people often referred to them as the "little pair."
Often, they were very mischievous together, pulling pranks and practical jokes on officials and their older brothers. But there were some times that they were peaceful, such as now, and if one saw them they tried to let them be for as long as they could. It was times like this when Catalina wished it would never end.
"Sister dear?"
"Yes Brother love?"
"I am planning something for Balder's coronation day. Do you think you can help me?"
"What do you have in mind?" Catalina smiled and set her head against the rope.
"Maybe a trick, I was thinking for his helmet we could switch it to look like mine or your headpiece." He chuckled and Catalina smirked.
"Maybe...." she grinned at the thought, but it seemed wrong to play such a prank on such an important day. "Not this time Loki."
"Why not?" Her twin brother knelt next to her looking disappointed.
"It is Balder's and Thor's day, and I don't want to ruin it for them."
"What happened to you? You used to throw yourself headfirst into every prank I wanted to pull. What changed you? Did the Elves give you a good girl potion in your wine?" The god of Mischief held his sister's swing still as he looked down at her.
"No, I don't drink wine Loki, you know that."
"In your chocolate then; what happened? Don't tell me it was that elf prince."
"No, nobody made me change. I simply don't think we should pull anything on that day. It wouldn't be right."
Loki rolled his eyes and pushed her into motion once again.
"As you wish Sister. I suppose you're right."
Catalina sighed, sensing his disappointment. They used to play pranks constantly when they were young, now though, it seemed their relationship and childhood pleasures had begun to dwindle, and it saddened Catalina to think of it.

Later, as the sun began to set on Asgard, the twins walked together back to the castle hand in hand.
Back in her room, Catalina settled onto her bed with a stack of books. Loki sat next to her and crossed his legs and opened another book.
"You're reading that again?" He tilted his head to see the thick book of Asgardian lore Catalina had picked up.
"Why not? There's no more books I haven't read in the library," Catalina flipped through the pages, keeping an eye out for butterfly wings. She found none of course.
"Frost Giants...." Loki whispered.
"What about Frost Giants?"
"Nothing," Loki sprang from the bed and headed for the door.
"There's something, get back here!" Catalina threw down her book and ran after him, but he had disappeared.

******

"Catalina?" Loki peeked into Catalina's room later that night.
"I'm not awake Brother," Catalina yawned and rolled over to face him.
"You should be. Do you know what night it is?"
Catalina opened her eyes.
"What night?"
"The night the stars fall."
Catalina immediately sprang out of bed and followed her brother outside.
This was a rare night, when the stars fell. Foregard and Midgard witnessed meteor showers, but this was different. This was the night entire worlds fell, and they got to watch.
Loki led Catalina to the rainbow bridge, where they sat at the edge and looked up. This was an important night in Asgard, and many were sitting on roofs and balconies and waiting for the sky to light up.
"Remember the last time? Muspellheim fell." Loki smirked and wrapped his green cape around Catalina's shoulders.
Muspellheim was the home of the Fire Giants, and had fallen from the Yggdrasil three thousand years ago, leaving an empty spot in the then eight realms. Later though, Muspellheim was replaced by a smaller, still growing planet, Dragollheim.
Now, as everything became quiet, a flash of light streaked across the sky, then another, then colors like fireworks rained from the heavens. They lit up Asgard, and Catalina smiled as the lights danced in the sky. She put her head on her brother's shoulder, and he put his head on hers.
"If only it was simply meteors falling instead of worlds," Catalina expressed as an exceptionally bright light streaked across the sky.
"Father will be watching. It is hoped none of the worlds inside of the Yggdrasil fall tonight." Loki replied. He didn't seem too concerned, and for a moment, Catalina worried. She worried for Midgard. If Midgard fell......Catalina could not bare to think of it.
Loki sensed an uneasiness in his sister and wrapped his arm tighter around her. None of the Yggdrasil would fall tonight; not anymore.