9 : 5 3 p m

LEGEND:
Declan - bold
Grayson - italics

████████████████

"Grayson?"

"[Sobbing and wheezing]."

"Gray? What's going on?"

"Declan... [heavy breathing] Dec, I'm scared."

"Are you having a panic attack?"

"[Quick, fear-ridden] I don't know..."

"[Clear] Gray, you have got to speak to me. Are you having a panic attack? How do you feel?"

"[Voice breaking] I don't know... It hurts, Dec, it hurts so much... I can't breathe. I can't breathe... Dec am I dying? Why does it feel like I'm dying? Declan?"

"Hey, hey, calm down. I'm right here, okay? I'm not going anywhere. [Short pause] Remember what we did last time? Deep breath, Gray. Just take a deep breath."

"[Choking] I can't– I can't breathe, Dec, I can't..."

"Gray, you've gotta try. Come on. Just inhale and it'll go away, I promise. It's hard, but if you breathe, it'll go away. Yeah?"

"[Crying.]"

"Grayson. Can you hear me? I'm right here. I can track your number and come anytime you need me to. But I know you don't. Come on. You can fight it. Breathe."

"[Trembling] Okay... okay..."

"Okay, good. Good. I need you to continue doing that. Is that okay?"

"[Thin] Yes..."

"Okay. Um... Gray, where are you?"

"I– I..."

"It's okay, you don't have to answer me. Just... deep breath, remember? Deep breath."

"Okay..."

"Okay, right. I'm still here, remember? Nothing can harm you. Are you alone?"

"Y– yeah..."

"Alright. What are you wearing?"

"[Choking] I..."

"It's okay, you don't have to answer me right away. Just breathe if you feel scared again, Gray. I'm here. I'll be right here if you need anything. Alright?"

"Declan, I saw– I saw my mom... and– and my dad, he was hitting her... my dad was hitting my mom, Dec..."

"What?"

"I don't know! Dec I need you here, I do, please, I think he's going to come..."

"Gray, are you sure?"

"Y–yes, I can hear him now... the stairs..."

"Grayson, I will help you, but I need you to be completely silent. Can you do that? [Pause] Okay. Look around. Tell me what you see."

"N– nothing much... It's dark, Dec..."

"Try to find somewhere to hide, Gray. And you must calm down. Do not make any noises. You have to stop the panic attack. Okay?"

"I– I don't think I can..."

"Grayson, listen to me. You are giving him another advantage by panicking. You need to stop. He won't find you if you make no noises in the dark. I will be here, okay? Keep the call going. I will be here, but you need to calm down. Can you do that?"

"[Pause] I'll try..."

"Okay, good. Now go hide. What do you see?"

"I– I think I can squeeze into the space in between the old fridge and the wall."

"Alright, go! I'll be here."

"No! Please don't be silent. Talk to me Dec. Please. I– I'm scared."

"Alright, alright. I'm here. I won't go anywhere. You want me to hum a– a song?"

"Yes... But be quiet, he's almost here..."

"Okay, okay... [Extremely quiet] Carry on my wayward son... There be peace when you are done... Lay your weary head to rest... Don't you cry no more..."

"Grayson?"

"That's him, right? That's him. [Short pause] But it's okay! I'm here!"

"Grayson, are you down here?"

"Um... Once I rose above the noise and confusion... Just to get a glimpse beyond this illusion... I was soaring ever higher... But I flew too high..."

"Grayson, son, if you're down here, you'd better answer me."

"It's okay. He doesn't know. I can hear it in his voice. [Pause] Though my eyes could see I still was a blind man... Though my mind could think I still was a mad man... I hear the voices when I'm sleeping... And I hear them say..."

"Grayson!"

"Carry on my wayward son! There be peace when you are done! Lay your weary head to rest! Don't you cry no more!"

[Absolute silence.]

"... I think he's gone."

"Yes! We did it! [Pause] You alright?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm okay."

"Good job, Gray."

"Thanks to you, Dec. [Pause] Honestly."

"No problemo."

"..."

"..."

"..."

"..."

"Um... I should go. He's probably looking for me right now."

"... Alrighty. [Pause] Good night, Gray."

"Good night, Dec."

[Click.]