~8~

Luna ran into the detention block, gun held in front of her. Stephen's cell was empty except for large glaciers. She and a squadron of guards stood there with their guns raised.
"Put the half-mutant back!" Luna yelled. In response, the ice exploded. Everyone ducked, only two people getting impaled. Everyone alive jumped up and shot at the hole made by the girls, trying to hit something. Luna cursed and threw her gun to the ground, frustrated.
"Why did they get away?!" she screamed. The guards shrugged, unsure how else to respond. Matthew, the chief of the guard, walked over and set a hand on her shoulder.
"I know you miss Stephen," he said. "But you have to focus."
"Even though he is a murderous ba-" a newer cadet named Connor started before getting slapped in the face by Matthew. Luna sighed.
"He's not wrong."
"No," Matthew said firmly. "We'll get Stephen back." Luna smiled up at him. Matthew had lost his partner a while ago, a man named Beck. They were the strongest fighting force in all the Purebloods, the ones that everyone looked up to. Then Beck went. He was killed by the mutant named Gabe in the heat of battle. Matthew was heartbroken. There had been rumors that they were together, but now their relationship was lost to time.
"Thanks," Luna said, slightly humbled. Matthew nodded and sent one more glare Connor's way before leading the guards out. Luna stayed, lingering by the cell. Then she noticed something on the floor. She walked over and picked up a phone with a spiderwebbed screen. Stephen's phone. She unlocked it and glanced through it. She skimmed through his notes, picking out key words. She stuck it in her pocket for further investigation. She glanced up at the hole one more time before walking out, her fear and remorse suddenly gone.