~10~

Sola smoked into the office of the Pureblood leader, her eyes practically glowing in the near-darkness. She walked over to the desk, inserting a flash drive into the computer and downloading it to the desktop. She opened up a file titled "Finished Mutagen" and left it up. Then she opened a file named "Awakening," leaving it open over the one prior. Then she smoked out as the door opened and a tall, strapping young man with slicked-back black hair and amber eyes dressed in a suit, red tie, nice pants and dress shoes. He sat down at his computer, looking at the file. He read it through, then opened the other document. He smirked, printing it out. He got up and walked down the hallway with his document to the chemistry lab, opening the door and walking in. He inserted the cells shown on the paper into the seemingly endless stretches of genetic code, watching as the virus took over the rest of the cells. He smiled and hit enter, creating a test virus. It ended up in liquid form in a small beaker, swirling and bubbling. He picked it up and looked it over, debating whether to drink it or not. Then he held the glass up and smiled.
"To whatever god put that bloody virus on this earth," he said in a smooth, authoritative voice. Then, he drank.
The change came about instantly. It wasn't visible,  but he could feel it. Every muscle, every bone, every tendon in his body tightened, sharp bursts of pain erupting in waves along his body as his nerves cried out. It all stopped suddenly, as if his change had been turned off. He smiled, looking himself over, but his face quickly fell. He hadn't changed. Then excruciating pain rocketed through his body, mainly his chest and face. He screamed, his body changing and warping into something more than human. Then, as suddenly as it came, it stopped. He slowly opened his eyes, which he hadn't realized were closed, the world tinted amber. Little bits of code flashed in his peripheral vision. He felt no pain, no emotion, no nothing. He stood, listening to himself move. He was exhaling and inhaling like he always had, but he couldn't feel the rush of air flying down his throat and into his chest, nor did he have to swallow. When he breathed, he could feel his chest shifting but in a different way, as if his heart and lungs were moving with his skin and ribcage. He closed his eyes and searched deep within him, finding his schematics. He gasped, his eyes snapping open. He was a robot.
•••
Sola picked us her ringing phone, hitting the answer button and holding it up to her ear.
"Did it work?" she asked. The response she got made her smile. "Jace, that's awesome! Okay, okay, come over RIGHT now. I have to see what you look like." She paused. "Love you too." She hung up and stuck her phone in her pocket, looking out across her army. "It worked!" she yelled, getting cheers from the mutants below. "Now we can put our master plan into action: infecting the world!" Jace walked in, smiling at Sola. Love and affection towards her were the only things he felt. She smoked down in front of him, purple eyes sparkling.
"You haven't changed," she said, wrapping her arms around his midsection and leaning her head onto his chest.
"Yes I have," Jace said, setting one hand in the curve of her back and the other between her shoulder blades, holding her close. "Just not towards you."
"Hmm," she murmured, smiling. "Then to me you haven't changed at all." They stood there for a few seconds in swirling silence, simply enjoying each other. Then Jace spoke:
"I'm no longer human."
"Of course not," Sola replied, looking him in the eyes. "You're a mutant now."
"You aren't processing correctly. All of the things that made me human disappeared when I mutated."
"Well...you still love me, don't you?"
"Of course."
"Well, love is a very human emotion."
"It was the one shard of my human personality that was transferred over. It is the only part I wished to retain."
"You chose perfectly." They released each other, Sola pecking him on the cheek before smoking away to go relay instructions. Jace stood as still as a statue, watching her trough his amber-tinted eyes. She was just as beautiful as he remembered, even though she did look slightly orange. His brain switched over to another topic. He was leader of the Purebloods. How could he deal with this? The thought of all the pressure and the emotional expression made his non-heart speed up. There was only one way out of this. He walked outside and climbed into his hovercar, starting the engine and driving across the barren wasteland that had once been just outside of Chicago, Illinois towards the Pureblood base that had once been called the Sears Tower. The ground-zero-like city that used to trouble him evoked nothing within his heatedly existent soil as he drove, the dilapidated skyscrapers and signs and streets just simply there. When he got to the tower, he walked right into the weapons room and grabbed a small pistol, cocking it and setting it to his chest. He closed his eyes, feeling nothing, as what seemed to become the norm. Then the pulled the trigger.
He bled. His veins still functioned even though he was a robot. He lay himself down on the floor, splaying himself out as if he had been killed on impact. Then he put himself into shutdown, closing his eyes. Things would work out once he woke up.