~16~

Jace and Sola watched as their empire fell, mutants falling everywhere in sight. They were in a separate room from their fallen brethren, safe. Jace turned and walked to the back of the room, which used to be a control center. Sola and a young boy stood nearby, holding hands. The boy had hair that looked like someone had dumped paint on it, and his eyes were a sharp gray. He wore a paint-splattered t-shirt way too big for him, also paint-splattered jeans, and once-white shoes. Jace took out three spill-proof reusable water bottles from a nearby case and handed two of them to his companions, keeping one for himself.
"One small mouthful of this will keep us immune to the sibling viruses for a week," he said, pacing slightly. "Every week, we will alternate taking a drink. Two of us will succumb to Illusion while one of us will be here, waiting a week to pull out the next person before they themselves go into Illusion." The other two nodded.
"I'll go with Smock first," Sola said, glancing at the boy. Jace nodded.
"But not now. We have to wait until the siblings exchange their reign."
"Of course. Insanity must die out first to make room for his sister." Jace nodded.
"We don't know when the virus will come, but when she does, we will be ready." He held up his bottle out in front of him with a smile. "To mutantkind!"
"To mutantkind!" the other two chorused, doing the same.
"The Survivors chose us to be the last of the mutants," Jace said, putting his bottle back in the case. The other two did as well, Sola closing the case once all were in. "So we must respect their wishes."

Stephen woke up feeling sore and tired. He was scared, confused, and panicky.
"No," he gasped. "No, no, no, it'll come back..."
"No it won't," Vera said, running her fingers through his hair tenderly. "It's okay." The gentle, soothing motion combined with Vera's relaxing voice calmed Stephen's panic, but didn't freeze it entirely. He closed his eyes, breathing hard and long, the lingering soreness bringing back memories of pain.
"Is he awake?" Ellie's voice said from nearby.
"Yes," Vera said. "Now shoo." The sound of pounding footsteps resounded, getting quieter and quieter until they were gone.
"What happened?" Stephen asked, not daring to move any more.
"No one knows," Vera replied. "Stephen, stop being a chicken and open your eyes. Nothing'll happen except you understanding more." Stephen slowly opened his eyes, taking in his surroundings. He was in his room, sunlight filtering its way through the badly boarded holes in the wall and piled rubble. He was tied to a table, his wings and feet separately bound. He worked on untying himself, working the knots until he was free. Then he sat up. Vera was talking really slowly. 'Whoops,' he thought. 'Speed overload.' He slowed down, and Vera talked at normal speed.
"-Stop moving so fast!"
"I did," Stephen responded with a smile. Vera rolled her eyes and cracked a smile back.
"Gee, thanks." She scooted back slightly, giving Stephen more room to move. "Do you think it has anything to do with the mutants becoming human again?"
"Dunno," Stephen replied with a shrug. "I do know that was the first time Insanity's spoken in a while. He said he was sorry."
"Hmm," Vera said, absentmindedly twisting a lock of her curly hair. "That means he probably knows what's going on." The last statement made Stephen have a moment of sudden realization.
"Of course he knows," he said, staring down at the edge of the table. "Every person he's mutated is an extension of himself. If the virus is dying, that means..." He stopped. He couldn't continue. His other half was literally dying. And if that side died out...what would happen to the other side? He swallowed heavily, suddenly sick to his stomach.
"Stephen?" Vera asked. "Are you okay?"
"Yeah," he replied breathlessly. "Just need some air." He got up and staggered outside, falling to his knees on the cracked and overgrown pavement, chest heaving. Stephen. Insanity was back. His exhausted-sounding voice ricocheted through Stephen's head.
"What?" he yelled hoarsely. "What torture are you going to put me through now?" None. I just wanted to tell you something. "...What?" You are the Host. The one the Survivors chose to guard the viruses. "Wait, there's more viruses?" Yes. My sister and brother. The only reason you've been through all of this pain is because I--we--know you can. That's why we chose you. I'm dying off, as you know, but you will not. You're much too valuable. I know it's a lot to take in, Stephen, but I know you can do this. You were chosen. "Why are you telling me this?" Because you need to know. You need to know this before I die. Now you must go to Chicago so you can greet my sister. "What about the Rebels?" They will come when they need to. Now go! There is little sand in the top of the hourglass. Stephen stood and buzzed his wings, taking off and flying towards the city. He had a bad feeling about this, but Insanity hadn't been wrong yet. He pushed himself to supersonic speed, trying to get to the city as fast as he could. He was sure there was an apocalypse waiting to happen, but he didn't care. His other half was dying. He had nothing to lose.